valentine's day

Kayson heard Niko say goodbye, and asked his aunt if he had a car.

"He was dropped off here."

"Ok, well I gotta go. I told mom I'd be back soon. Bye aunt Tara! Bye Jade!"

Kayson walks out and sees Niko walking down the street.

"Niko! Need a ride?" Kayson yelled from his truck.

"No." Niko said weakly, sniffling. A few tears leaked out when he left his friend's house.

Kayson heard Niko sniffle and bring his hands up to his face. Kayson walked up to Niko.

"You ok Niko?"

Niko nodded and continued to walk the three mile walk home.

Kayson laid his hand on Niko's shoulder stopping him from walking any farther.

Kayson walked in front of Niko and crouched down to look into Niko's pale blue eyes.

"You sure you're ok?" Kayson said softly. So softly Niko felt like he was near his mother.

Niko shook his head, and Kayson pulled him into a warm hug.

Niko's shoulders shook slightly and all Kayson could do was just hug him tighter.

"You'll be fine Niko. What's wrong?"

Niko shook his head and back up. He played with his lip ring and decided to tell Kayson. "My mom died last year from lung cancer, and when you gave Tara the flowers and cards, it reminded me that she'll never see the flowers I put at her grave sight."

Kayson led Niko to his truck and got in himself.

"How do you feel about breakfast?" Kayson asks and Niko just shrugs.