Chapter 35: Light

I was floating.
In...water?
But I wasn't wet.
I wasn't drowning.
And I was breathing.

The air was cold, crisp.
Like high up on a tall mountain.
It was nice.

The gravity...
There wasn't any.
Was I in space?
But I was breathing...and I definitely wasn't wearing a spacesuit...

So...what was this?

I forced my eyes to open though they begged to stay closed.
It was very...bright...

No floor, no ceiling, no walls.
Just light.
It was just like where Jūx his but...opposite.

Just light and a single, beautiful floating figure.

Her hair weaved around her face like endless golden curls, highlighting her pale skin and pink cheeks.
Her long, white gown with golden embroidery shone through, seeming lighter than light itself.

She looked as if she was sleeping, breathing slow, even breaths with her eyes closed.
And with the way her hair and clothes moved, she really did look like she was underwater.
Except...without the water...

And through those few seconds of silence, she opened her eyes.
The colour...more beautiful than the golden of the sun in dawn and twilight combined.
Finer than the finest golden jewelry.

So this was Köleil's mother...they definitely shared each others beauty.

I took a deep breath of my airless surroundings and relaxed.
"Um...Kaîleika?"

"Just Kaîlei will do. Kaîleika is so pointlessly long, don't you agree, child?"
She had the smoothest voice I could have ever imagined.
Like melted gold itself.

But I was getting distracted.

"M-Miss Kaîleika...we need your help. You see we-"

"I know. I've been doing all I can for what I've seen but it seems my powers in the mortal realm have weakened after all these years. Tell me, how are my children? Are they well?"

"They are powerless and afraid, my...uh...liege. We are all in desperate need of your guidance."
I was trying to talk to her like she was a queen or something.
I must have sounded like an idiot.

"Guidance? For what?"

"Please, tell us the next step! What must we do to defeat Jūx? To save all those poor darkened souls?!"

"Jūx...you mean...that horrible creature that spread dark across the lands?"

"Yes. Do you know his weakness? Is there anyway to kill him?!"

"There is...one..."
Kaîlei moved her hands forward, a blade made entirely from clear diamond appearing before her.
"This...is my weapon. The first blade to be used by an immortal being. The first blade fused with the power of Guardians. It has been cast from the mortal realm, as was I. But in your hands and only yours, young one, may it do justice once more."

The sword moved towards me, glowing elegantly.

"Use this as you may. Strike the fiend, right into his dark, hollow heart. Shed light upon his world once more. Bid him freedom from his self-made world of darkness."

"Wow...thank you..."

I took the sword in my hand, holding it upright and steady as I admired its delicate design.
Kaîlei put her hands together, smiling down at me as I tried a few practise swings. It moved so elegantly and it felt so natural.
Almost as if it wasn't there, like it was more of an extension of my own body than a tool.