Chapter 27: Hopeless?

-Nim-

"And then Köleil just completely obliterated the entire cell! Haha, she was pretty damn awesome!"
I chuckled as Myrora listened intently.

"By the end of the whole rampage, we ran into this buggar again. Though he's proven himself useful."
I smiled, patting the growling half Dark that sat beside me. Unable to move with his arms and legs tied tightly. We even had to gag him since he wouldn't stop cursing.

"Why do you still have him? Surely it's just easier to kill him now."
Poppy frowned, crossing her arms.

"He still has human in him. It wouldn't be right. Anyway, Köleil wouldn't even let me consider it. Apparently she knows the guy."
I said, looking behind the others at Köleil. She sat in the corner of the room, alone and staring out the window as harsh rain poured down.

"I couldn't upset her like that. After all, I'd still be locked up in that damn cell if it wasn't for her. We all would be."

"Yeah. Even YOU have to admit, Poppy. Köleil kicked ass back there."
Myrora grinned, punching Poppy's shoulder lightly before turning to me again.

"So when do you think Jake'll be back?"

"...I...don't know. I don't even know whether I should be worried about him or not. He's gone off a lot before but with everything that's happened...I dunno. I just worry."

"It's Jake. I'm sure he's fine, Nim."
Myrora smiled.

"I hope so..."

"...oh...oh my..."
Myrora chuckled.

"...what?"

"Me thinks...someone's in looooove!"

"What?! No I'm not!"

"Uh huh. You say that but your bright red cheeks say otherwise, darling."

I leaned back, covering my cheeks with my hands and looking away.

"But the guy is still seventeen. So just give him a year or two."

"Myrora! I do not have a crush on Jake!!"

"What about me?"
I gasped and covered my mouth as Jake stepped into the room, clothes and hair both dripping wet with rainwater.

Myrora's grin grew even wider.
"Oh! Jake! We were just talking about you!"

"No we weren't!"

"So, where were you then?"
Poppy asked him, crossing her arms.

"I went to get Baîk and Lumai. I think they can help. I got James back too."

"James? Where is he?!"
Köleil jumped up, knocking her chair back in the process.

"He's in the kitchen, resting. But Köleil, I don't think you should-"

Köleil ran past Jake and through the doorway.
After a small sigh, Jake turned to me.

"You haven't used your light today, have you?"
He asked, his soft, jade eyes staring into my own.
No Nim...no blushing...not now...hold it together...

"Y-yeah, actually. But it wouldn't matter either way. I'm completely powerless. We all are."

"What? Since when?"

"Since Jūx took us. All our eyes have faded now too. Something must have happened to the crystals..."

"Yeah. That was him too. Sick bastard...what's he trying to do here?"

"Besides turning the whole world dark...we have no idea..."
I sighed, shaking my head slowly as I thought.

We all turned to the door as we heard Köleil sobbing.
"No! No, that is not James! That is not him! It just can't be! Please! No, no!"