Chapter 31: Fly Away, Poor Child

Köleil

Köleil opened her eyes, letting them slowly adjust to the dark room she was in. A dim, flickering light hung above her, slowly swinging back and forth on a thin cord.

"Wh...what is this?"
She mumbled, trying to stand up.

But she couldn't.

She panicked, looking around.
Her legs were strapped together with something iron. That seemed to be all.
But when she tried to lift her body once more, the pain in her back gave her a hint.

Both of her wings were out and open, nailed to the wall with large, silver spikes.
She opened her mouth but was too scared to scream.

It hurt her.
A lot.

Jūx stepped forward, cackling in the shadows.
"Oh dear...you look a little shocked. Is something wrong?"

Köleil felt the tears pricking in her eyes but she refused to cry in front of him.
She'd hold it together.
She had to.

"What was it that you said to James so long ago? Can you remember?"

Shaking her head, all she could do was close her eyes and wish for the pain to go away.
For him to go away.
For her to wake up.

But sadly for her, this was no nightmare.

"Something about...not being able to use your powers unless your wings are out? Am I correct?"

That was right!
Köleil quickly realised that she could attack, raised her hands and shot a large ball of electricity at Jūx.

But it flew straight through him.

Jūx burst out laughing.
"Oh, you dumb little thing! You really think I'd waste my time around you? I'm not really here. I don't need to be. I have some...accomplices...who can do all my work for me. But I'm still getting all the fun parts!"

"...w...work?"
She stuttered, heart beating faster and faster with each harsh breath she took.
And with each, fearing it could be her last.

"Well, with your body already suffering as it retakes your old, original form, slowly killing you in the process...those wings are the one thing causing me any problems."

"...please...what are you going to do?"

Jūx grinned, stepping back as two, tall Darks crawled into the room.

"I'm going to fix all my problems. One. By. One."

Köleil screamed, thrashing around as two pairs of sharp-clawed hands grabbed her.
They held her arms down, tight against her back before she could do anything and began to slowly walk her out of the room.

Through the halls and all the doors, Köleil wouldn't stop trying to escape.
She was determined to not give up, to keep fighting to the very end.

She wasn't going to leave James.
Not like this.

She burst her own body into flames in all her attempts, only causing more and more Darks to clasp her arms, their sharp nails piercing her skin.