Chapter 7: Another Goodbye?

Poppy and I ate some of this weird stuff called 'Günan' and decided to head back.

Köleil was still fast asleep, meaning I had to carry her the whole way until we got back to their home.

"You should take her upstairs and put her to bed. Poor cutie's pooped."
Poppy smiled, putting away the sack of food she'd brought back from Kaka-whatsit.

"...you want me to walk all the way up there? Carrying her?"

"Well, I've got something to sort out and somewhere to be right now so you'll have to. Take your time."

"Where are you going?"

"To find Charlie. I left him between a few rifts, didn't I? It may take a while to find him. Best to start now."

"Oh...alright."

"...there's an elevator by the way."

"What? Since when?!"

"Since we left. Nim messaged me saying she saw you struggling with the stairs so she sorted one out while we were training. Don't ask me how. That's just Nim."

"Fair enough then. But I REALLY should be heading home. Can you give me her number so I can call her?"

Poppy put Nim's number into my phone before opening another rift and stepping through, off to find (and hopefully sort things out with) Charlie.

The elevator was great!
It made the trip up to Köleil's room super easy.

Once Köleil was in bed and wrapped up her soft, purple sheets, I called Nim.

"Hello?"

"Hi, it's James."

"Oh, hi James! What's up?"

"Well, I...is that...screaming? And gunfire?!"

"Uh...we're just a little busy right now so...try and make this quick, kay?"

"W-when can I get home? Nat and Paul are gonna kill me. And I REALLY need to apologize to Jayden."

"Just message them and say you're round a friends house! You - gah! Jeeze! Watch where you're swinging that thing, Jake! Look, we'll sort this out when I'm back! See you soon! Put the damn gun down, Myrora! It's useless!"

The phone cut off quite quickly.

"...jesus...but that's a good idea for now. I'll message Natalie and say I stopped at Keiran's for the night."
I mumbled to myself, looking for Nat in my contacts.

'Hey, Nat. Sorry for not messaging sooner. Just been round Keiran's for the night so don't panic and call the police again. Make sure to let Jayden know. I forgot to tell him. Talk soon.'

And sorted.

*****

"Ah, James! I see you found the t.v?"
Nim grinned, stepping inside.

"Yeah...it's huge! How did you afford this?"

"We have our ways."
She winked, setting down her...axe?

"Um...Nim? What is that?"

"A weapon. Calm yourself, little boy. You'll get your own collection of weapons soon."

"No, it's just...why an axe?!"

"Darks aren't easy. Sometimes you just gotta...deal with it. AKA, swing an axe at their throat."

"...alrighty then. Where's Jake?"

"He ran off upstairs to talk to Köleil."

"He didn't use the elevator?"