Stormy With a Chance of Raining Wariness

When he came down that morning he saw Bianchi, Fuuta and I-pin huddled together by the living room door, staring at something. Curious, he went to take a look himself. Mia sat on the porch with her legs tucked underneath her. Her eyes were closed and her expression was enticingly serene.

"Why are you guys watching Mia?" he asked Bianchi.

"She hasn't moved for two hours."

Tsuna's brows disappeared into his bangs. "Not at all?"

"Mia-nee can be really weird sometimes," Fuuta commented. I-pin stared long and hard at Mia with great fascination. Tsuna didn't bother thinking about it too deeply. I-pin was still shy around Mia but he knew the little girl admired her a lot. Bianchi tugged on his shirt and pointed towards the kitchen. Wondering why, he followed her there.

Bianchi rubbed her temples, frowning. "Tsuna, did you know where Mia went yesterday?"

"I thought she was resting here?"

The poison scorpion's frown deepened. "Tsuna. She was gone for at least ten hours. I went to check on her an hour after you left. She wasn't in your room. I went looking for her after that."

Tsuna sunk in one of the chairs, feeling a growing unease in his stomach. "Did you find her?"

Bianchi shook her head. "She came back later in the afternoon looking better than ever." He sighed in relief.

"Eh? Then what's wrong with that? Maybe she just went out for a walk after feeling better." Bianchi slammed her hands on the table, startling him.

"You don't understand. I checked on her temperature before you left. It was thirty-nine degrees."

"Bianchi, maybe she's just a fast healer – "

"Tsuna." The way she said it so seriously made Tsuna know that something was wrong. "Mia had asked me to keep this quiet but that girl has no sense of self-preservation. Her health was steadily declining for the past few days because of an infection she had on her wound. She shouldn't have been able to move on her own with the way she has been."

Mia had been sick before she had the fever? He knew she was often tired lately but he never expected it to have been so serious – how was it that he never noticed it before? Because she knew how to hide, a small part of his brain whispered to him. Because Mia didn't like worrying others so she keeps to herself. That's just the way she is. But Bianchi had a point – where had she gone?

"She couldn't have been able to move by herself. Someone had to be with her."

"But everybody was busy with their training and you and the kids were here at home with mom so…" his words slowly fell. There was one other person who they didn't know that came and went as he pleased. The masked fox. Who was he exactly and why was he so close to Mia?

"Tsuna, do you have someone in mind?" Bianchi asked him.

"Yeah," he said with a low growl. "He won't tell us his name but he wears a fox mask."

"From the sounds of it you don't like him all that much." Tsuna scowled. He was about to begin a long and winding rant about him when Mia came in with Fuuta and I-pin at hand. He put on a smile for her immediately though the corner of his mouth did twitch a bit.