Chapter 19- Sharing the News

Start from the beginning

"I have received training to be a part of this peace keeping force and I didn't think that it would be for sometime yet. But this morning," Max took a deep breath and sighed. My stomach was in knots and I didn't realise that I hadn't swallowed in sometime, as there was a lump in my throat. I took the opportunity to breath and try and untangle my stomach as he paused. I squeezed his hand in encouragement not able to get any words out.

Then there was a bang that startled both of us, as a guy 2 cars over greeted a friend and pulled his surf board down off the top of his car. We watched, as their voices faded and they walked away together in their wet suits towards the beach. It had been almost like Max needed the time to collect himself again. My body was going through terrible surges of emotion and I didn't know if I could even control the simplest of things like turning my head. But I forced it round and smiled at him.

He pulled his hand gently away from me and placed both hands lightly on the top of the steering wheel. He sighed, " Where was I?"

"This morning?" I supplied

"Yes, well this morning, MIke, my senior sergeant got word that the team leader out in the Solomons at the moment needs to get back for a family emergency and I need to go out and take his place."

I let that sink in, he was going, going out, when? would he be safe, how long would he be gone? But instead of asking any of this, I found my mouth opening and saying, "Wow you are a team leader?'

He seemed surprised by my tack and gave me a small nod, visibly relaxing. "Yeah, I was chosen for the role about 18 months ago after initial assessments were made of the volunteers. It is a responsibility and I do have to be careful.."

He stopped speaking because at that moment, my body needed to move. With a tight smile I scrambled for the door handle and after several failed attempts feeling all fingers and thumbs I opened the door and shut it behind me. leaning back on the closed door with the salt air hitting my face. The freshness of the sea breeze was a welcome distraction. Although the sun was out, it was still cool, and the wind was blowing gently, but felt like it was straight off the South Pole ice caps. Pleased that I had on my padded white jacket I pulled it around tightly and zipped it right up.

Closing my eyes as I rested there I was vaguely aware of Max being in front of me as we stood between 2 parked cars.

"Are you ok?' I looked up into his face, handsome face, trying to be coherent even in my thinking I noticed that he was frowning and looked concerned. "I had to come and tell you first, I haven't even been round to work to tell Dad or called Mum."

I am sure his words made sense, and I wanted to hear him, but the scramble that was happening in my brain needed small bits of information and gradually. I also found that I had moved away from Max and had started walking slowly down the stairs to the balustrade over looking the beach and the water charging in on a high tide. He had followed me down and leant beside me.

After a few monents silence the burning question, and that had almost been too hurtful to ask, came to the surface and I knew I needed to know, so closing my eyes against the sea vista and turning inside my self I whipered, "When?"

I knew that he had heard me, because he immediately moved and I felt him turn sideways to look at my profile, he quiestly said, "Friday."

I couldn't help myself I gasped out loud, why, why?? this hurt so much. Like someone had punched me. Sit, sit,... backing up and opening my eyes briefly I sat in the seat that I knew was directly behind me. Pulling my knees to my chest squeeszing my eyes tightly shut I then relaxed, telling my body to breathe. I shook out my hands and folded them on my lap.