Chapter 21

I sat on the bed, unable to move. Daniel just walked out on me.

I knew he was upset but why would he leave me alone like this?

I played with the silver diamond ring on my finger; I couldn't believe Daniel saved this in all this chaos.

It had a five-karat diamond at the centre surrounded by silver, vine-like strips snaking around the diamond and inside the ring was 'Nia' in cursive.

Each time I looked at the ring, it reminded me of the time when Bra—Daniel proposed to me.

It was our ten-month anniversary and I was all dolled up. His butler had arrived and ushered me to a black Audi, driving me to Daniel's penthouse.

I was to meet him on the roof and there I was when suddenly I saw a helicopter flying overhead. The lights blinding me and when it was dimmed, I looked up again.

The next thing I knew I saw someone jump out of the helicopter. My heart skipped a beat when I noticed it was Daniel.

I yelled out his name in fright as he fell towards me. He pulled a string and instantly a parachute opened. On this parachute were the words 'Marry me' written in pink cursive letters.

My heart was beating off the charts and a smile was plastered on my face. When he came down smoothly and landed on top of me, taking me down with him. It was then I gave him my answer.

"Yes!" I said as I looked into his eyes.

"My Nia," he leaned forward and kissed me.

Even after my answer, he wanted to give me the speech he had prepared so I calmed down enough for him to say it.

'Shania Jakes, I've only known you for ten months, but you've been the most influential person in my life," he had started. "I haven't felt so alive in my life, I know that it's a bit cliché what I'm saying know but it's the truth. I love you Shania and no matter what, I will never leave you. I will risk my life for you. You're my queen, my everything. So, I was wondering if you would do me the honour of being my love, my only reason for existing, my everything, my wife?'

I hugged him tightly, not wanting to let go.

'Yes, yes, yes!' I had screamed.

He slipped the ring onto my finger and I kissed him with so much emotion. I was so happy.

'I love you,' I said as we kissed.

'I love you too,' he responded.

That was the happiest day of my life.

A tear slipped from my eye as I remembered that night. The happiness I had felt, the joy that ran through me and the joy in his eyes. I loved him, I still do but he kept on hurting me over and over again. I know he was hurt that the baby wasn't his but it wasn't my fault.

I wasn't strong enough... Years of training and emotional pain yet I hadn't grown strong enough to fight my tormentor.

His words played in my head and I couldn't help the tremors that shook me.

'The more you fight, the more I hurt you. The more you cry the harder I go. I'm going to make you wish you were shot instead of Alia.'

I fell to the ground crying as the memories came flooding into my mind, I hugged myself as I cried alone.

After a few minutes of weeping, I got up and went to the bathroom for a shower. The memories of what we did in there came flashing into my mind and a faint smile came upon my face. I washed my body with a strawberry scented body wash and the water washed away both my tears and the suds.