Chapter 17

LOCATION: A warehouse, in the suburbs.

TIME: 2130 hrs. The night of Shania's rescue.

The black Audi drove through the poorly lit drive-thru almost hidden in the dark of the night.

The blue fluorescent lights of the old street lamps bounced off the white walls of the warehouse and reflected on the body of the car as it pulled up to the warehouse. It came to a stop, feet away from the silver Ford.

The door of the Audi was flung opened and a man dressed in a black suit stepped out. He raked his hand through his long blond hair and his icy blue eyes roamed over the place.

His eyes rested on a man in a white suit and white hat. The man stared at him with his bright emerald eyes, his face had wrinkles all over and his grey hair was peeking out of his hat.

"Mr. Ferrez, thank you for taking the time to meet with me," the man said.

"Mr. Kane, it's nothing, but I must ask why you've called me down here?" Giovanni Ferrez answered with a question of his own.

"Hm, curious aren't you? Follow me and leave your men," Lionel Kane replied as he entered another room.

Giovanni turned to the men behind him and told them to give them space but to stay alert. He followed Kane into an adjoining room.

The room was the same colour as the other; the only difference was that this room had a table and chairs. On the table was a box of Cuban cigars, two bottles of rum and some glasses. Kane gestured to the black leather chair on the left and Giovanni sat in the chair as Kane sat in his.

Kane offered him a cigar and Giovanni accepted it. Lighting it he took a draw, a sign of respect to Kane.

Lionel mentally smiled. At least the boy had manners... Lighting his cigar, he also took a draw, puffing out smoke.

Kane had always hated the young gang leaders. They always tried to come par to par with him. He had taken pleasure in putting them in their places and knocking them off their high thrones, grinding their heads under his boot like the dirt they were.

However, this boy was raised by one of Lionel's generation. He, however, succeeded where his father had failed... He had made a name for himself, secured the power and respect his father had failed to garner.

It was for that reason Kane liked him and was also cautious of him.

"Now, Giovanni let's get down to business. You have someone I want," Kane said as he coughed, smoke leaving his lips.

Giovanni's interest was piqued. What, or should he say who, could he want?

"Oh, do I? Who do you want and why do you need them so badly?"

Kane had decided to be honest. They said you should keep your enemies close and that was his plan. He needed this boy to trust him... That way he would be easier to control him.

"She's a real gem," Lionel replied nonchalantly. "Brown hair, beautiful green eyes and she's roughly twenty years. She's married to my adopted son and I need her to spark a business deal. That's about it. "

Green eyes? Brown hair? Giovanni mentally grinned but gave Kane a look of indifference. This was going his way.

"Hm, short and simple but I have no one of that description. I think you have the wrong man Kane," Giovanni replied as he took a draw and exhaled.

"Oh no, I think I have the right man... well, according to Jim's records you are. Maybe this will jog your memory; you bought her at an auction a few days ago... Her name's Shania," Kane said sitting up to face Giovanni, watching his reaction.