Birthdays What Birthdays

Colton's POV

"Hey Lea when's your birthday, you know so I can get you a present, like me for instance" I smirked wiggling my eyebrows.

"I don't have one" she replied in a matter of fact voice shooting out of the lobby.

I rushed after her and pulled on her arm so she had to stop and face me.

"What do you mean you don't have one, everybody has a birthday"

"Well I don't remember ever having a birthday party or present, every day was the same, I don't remember anything really before Chloe was born, only that the nearest neighbours little girl was the same age as me,
because I went to her birthday party once and her parents told me" she shrugged and went to carry on walking.

I wasn't having that so I held her back, I needed to know everything and I needed to know now, as my anger was bubbling, how could the love of my life not have experienced a birthday.

"What about Chloe" I persisted.

She huffed dropped her shoulders, knowing I was not going to let this go.

" It was the same, so when she asked about birthdays, I made them up I told her our birthdays were the same day. I chose the fifteenth of July as our joint birthdays just so I could keep track of our ages, as this was a week after the neighbours little girl"

I was struggling now with my emotions, anger towards her parents, for not giving them the joy of birthdays and sorrow for Lea and Chloe not experiencing them.

That was definitely going to change.

Leanne gave a small smile in remembrance and continued.

"I used to take the thrown away cards from the neighbours and pretend they were mine and Chloe's, I would have the ones with the age on the front as it was my age the rest I gave to Chloe, I would steal some food if there was any or go to where they hid their stolen money and take some to buy a treat for us" she let out a little laugh.

As for me I was livid, how dare my fiancee and her sister be treated that badly.

I grabbed her hand "Come on let's go"

Pulling her along, I needed to do something, but what, I needed to consult with my family, they would know what to do and I needed to get home and find out now!

Leanne's POV

Sheesh what's up with him, one moment we are all smiles and happy from the interview, next he's angry what have I done to upset him, I thought as I was dragged along in his wake.
The journey home was done in a slightly uncomfortable silence, as Colton sat behind the wheel with a grim determined look on his face.

Colton's POV

As we arrived home, I was still fuming, now feeling a bit guilty as well, I was so wrapped up in my anger I completely forgot Leanne.

It was just I couldn't believe that Leanne and Chloe did not know there birthdays and didn't celebrate them and they kept track of their ages by using the neighbours girl's birthday.

I let out a heavy sigh pulled Lea into a hug and said.

" I'm sorry Lea, it's not you, it's just I hate to think of you being sad even if I wasn't there or even knew of you, the thought of you and Chloe missing out on so much happiness, makes me angry and bitter towards those responsible for it"

" Hey it's in the past Colton don't worry about it " she said with a sad smile, as she hurried upstairs to change.

This was unacceptable to me and I did worry about it, I looked for my family and found them in the garden and when I told them, they were just as outraged as I was.