Mr Barratt senior and me

Mr Barratt senior’s POV

‘This is going to be harder than I thought' I mused.
‘May have to rethink my strategy'

It was late afternoon and I hadn’t seen anymore of Leanne, I had heard her singing, well singing was being kind, it was more like screeching, but no more physical contact.

At that moment the door burst open and BB my young daughter came charging in.

“ Hi pops has Leanne finished in the penthouse? “

“ You met Leanne? “

“ Yes this morning nearly late for school and guess what I met her sister in class she’s clever and really cool”

“ You met her sister?”

“ Dad what are you a parrot, you’re repeating everything I say”

“ Sorry love, So do you think you and her sister will be friends then”

“ I don’t see why not we got on well enough, have the same interests, she funny and smart”

“Good, good that we be nice for you a new friends, to take to parties and bring over to visit “

Dad what are you planning I see that look in your eye, just like when you are planning a takeover”

“BB you are clever, I am planning a takeover of sorts and I may need your help.

Leanne’s POV

It was the middle of my first week and I hadn’t had anymore encounters with the Barratt family and was settling in to a routine, the floor screamed money and at first I was scared to death to touch anything in case I broke it, but I devised methods of cleaning that didn’t put anything in danger of me breaking it.

Life was slowly beginning to look up for once. Just before my lunch break I had opted to clean Mr Barratt seniors office and was busying myself polishing the vast surface of his desk, when the man himself strode in.

“ hum, good, I was hoping to see you Leanne, please sit I have a proposition for you”

I nervously perched on the edge of the sofa waiting for him to continue.

“ Leanne, I was hoping you could do me a big favour, I know it’s a big ask and very short notice, but my wife and I are having a barbeque this weekend and have been let down by some of the cleaning staff, I was wondering if you would be available to help out, You will be paid treble time with all meals free and free accommodation for the night as it will be to late to go home. Also transportation will be provided free each way, what do you say?”

What could I say, it was to good an opportunity to miss.
“ That sounds wonderful Mr Barratt, I would love to help you out”

“Excellent that’s settled then, I will get the car to pick you up at ten on Saturday, just give your address to my secretary and she will make all the arrangements.

Taking that as the end of the conversation, I finished up cleaning and made my way out of the office to the secretary's desk, leaving Mr Barratt on the talking on the phone.

“Hi” I said raising my hand , desperately looking around for a sign stating her name. “ Mr Barratt said to come and see you about being picked up on Saturday to work at the Barrett’s house”

“ Hi “ she snapped back “ Are you sure, we don’t send workers out to the Barrett's house, they hire from outside the company”

Just at that moment miss grump’s phone range.
She answered it with a sweet saccharine voice and smile
“ Mr Barratt, I have a woman hear that insists that.......”
Her speech stopped abruptly, her smile morphed in to a look of confusion then in to one of controlled anger, before she forced a smile and switch the sickly voice back on.