Good Impressions

Leanne's POV
(Five years later)

"Lea stop hogging the bathroom, I will be late for school, Gemma's here waiting for me" whined Chloe.

"Alright, alright shhh, I do have an important interview you know" I replied.

"Well for goodness sake make an effort don't hide in your hoodie and jeans" Chloe replied sarcastically.

"Now, now you two let's not bicker, let's work together shall we?" came the melodic calming voice of Mrs Williams.

"Yes nan" we whispered together in reply.

Mrs Williams was a kind, sweet, charming, life saver and no relation whatsoever. She was a small round woman with her grey hair always up in an immaculate bun a sweet face with small blue eyes that were always darting around giving the impression of constantly being aware of her surroundings. When she was in the house she always wore her signature uniform large fluffy slippers and a bright blue apron and glasses perched on the end of her small turned up nose.

That's right no relation but she was what we would want as a Nan, so that's what we called her and she was just as happy as us with that.
Life saver, most definitely she gave Chloe and I a home with no questions asked, well okay just a few, well quite a lot really.

We met Mrs Williams whilst making our escape from a very annoyed Chef and his staff, after pretending I got lost in the restaurant, grabbing two takeaway meals already boxed that were sitting on the counter before running out the back door, that Chloe who was standing on the outside slammed shut as they tried to chase me.

We were running down a darkened back street and as we turned the corner, we saw a man wrestling an old lady to the ground, trying to snatch her handbag away from her.

"Hey!" I shouted " I am calling the cops" as the guy turned towards us, I lifted my hand to the side of my face as though I was making a call, which was a risky bluff as I didn't own a phone. The guy took a quick look, let go off the handbag and ran. Chloe and I rushed to help the old lady up and brushed her down.

"Thank you ladies" she said breathlessly "You saved me"

"No problem" Chloe answered "Glad we could help"

"Well still I thank you, I am Mrs Williams, would you escort me to my home so I can repay you by warming your take away up for you"

As we walked down the street together we talked like long lost friends, we filled Mrs Williams in on our childhood she was so kind and understanding that we told her everything except who our parents were, or about the sheriff.

Mrs Williams was an angel heaven sent, she paid for the two takeaways explaining the circumstances as to why we stole them, Chloe and I apologised and I got a temporary job working in the kitchens, while the regular staff member was off sick.

"Right Chloe off you go to school, here's your lunch, have a good day" fussed Nan.

"Thanks Nan, see you later, Good luck with the interview sis" Chloe said waving over her shoulder as she and Gemma rushed off to the bus.

"Thanks, take care see you tonight hopefully with good news" I shouted back.

Checking myself one last time in the full length mirror in the hallway, my blonde locks in a high ponytail, deep blue eyes with a touch of eye shadow and a lick of makeup on my pale face. Yep I took after my mother.

Packing my few makeup products back into my drawer I didn't possess much as I couldn't afford it the little I earn at the restaurant I insisted on paying some towards our keep, and kitting Chloe out for school, the rest I splashed out on a cheap skirt and coordinated top for my interview.