Crackle (Sterek)

Stiles isn't used to the sounds of the woods, he jumps every time there's a noise (Derek patiently doesn't look up from the fire as he tells him it's a rabbit hopping or a branch falling or an animal running by), but it's trying to calm down. He hates that he can't be calm all the time, his heart always beating quickly and his scent a mixture of confusion and uncertainty, and he knows that it bothers the wolves.

By wolves he means Scott, and sometimes Isaac, but he's surprised that Derek never mentions it to him. He figured that he would, that Stiles' heartbeat would drive him insane and considering how impatient that Derek can be. Stiles stares at the fire, listening to it crackle around the sticks, and he breathes in the smell of fire. He wonders why it doesn't bother Derek, the smell, and he turns towards him. "Why doesn't the smell of fire make you uncomfortable?" Stiles asks him, as soon as he says it he regrets it since he feels like it's none of his business.

Derek doesn't answer him, he just shrugs his shoulders, and Stiles just takes it to mean that he doesn't want to answer. Which is fine, Stiles thinks. "It just doesn't. Does the smell of antiseptic make you think of Eichen?" Derek asks him, not rude or anything. Stiles nods his head as he looks at him, and Derek nods his head. "I see. I'm sorry." Derek tells him, and Stiles nods his head as he looks at him.

"I'm sorry that I'm here. I know that you wanted to go camping alone, but I don't want to be alone and I'm trying to be calm. Or I'm trying to be calm for you so you can enjoy nature." Stiles tells him, and Derek frowns at him. "I'm sorry. I'll just go. The trial goes back to the Hale House?" Stiles asks him, looking at him while Derek reaches out to stop him. Stiles looks down at him before he sits back down on the ground.

"Don't go. You're not bothering me. I don't think your heartbeat is too loud." Derek tells him, shaking his head as he watches him. Stiles doesn't understand why it doesn't bother him, Scott once told him that it bothered him, and he looks at Derek. "It's loud, yeah, but it's not distracting or annoying." Derek tells him, and he shakes his head. "Did Scott tell you that?" Derek asks him, a little annoyed now that Scott would say that to his best friend. Stiles sighs as he nods his head, and Derek snorts. "He's an ass for saying that. It's not annoying. It's what makes you unique. You don't have to be ashamed of that. You have ADHD. It's not like you can help it. Not even medicine will change it." Derek tells him, and Stiles nods his head as he looks at him.

"I just feel like I'm being annoying." Stiles says, and Derek shakes his head. "I mean I know that I'm really annoying, but I don't like to be when you're trying to relax from everything." Stiles says, and Derek chuckles softly as he shakes his head while he looks at him. Stiles smiles at him, feeling more comfortable in Derek's presence, and he watches the fire flicker around.

"Thanks for coming with me." Derek says, looking at him. Stiles grins to himself, turning his body enough to kick Derek's foot with his, and he laughs softly as he starts to relax.

Requested by: sh1ttyname

Artist: stiles-and-the-sourwolf