Chapter 20

Third Person POV
"How is she?" Marilyn asked as she walked in. Paramedics were wrapping gauze around Cameron's wrist and making sure the cuts weren't too deep.

"She didn't cut too deep for it to hurt anything, but it's going to scar. I just wish I knew what caused her to go over the edge," Jay said as he rubbed his face with his hands. Marilyn nodded and sat down next to him.

"How are you holding up?" Marilyn asked as she put her hand on his shoulder.

"I don't know. I just wish I knew what happened. She was so happy after her interview. The only time she seemed upset was when we were at the grocery stor- Wait. Maybe something happened then," Jay whispered more to himself. Marilyn shrugged just as a paramedic walked up to the two.

"Like we said before, she's going to be okay. She won't need to go to the hospital at least for right now. If this happens again, call us immediately," the paramedic said in a professional tone.

"Do you know what caused her to breakdown like that?" Jay found himself asking.

"My partner and I think that Ms.Thompson has experienced a PTSD attack of some sort that caused her to lose control of her emotions which resulted in her trying to take her life. What probably happened was she might have heard something or saw somebody familiar that triggered past emotions that were just too much for her brain to process," the medic explained, "We found her dog tags around her neck. Did she recently come home?"

"She came back in late November," Jay answered as he ran his hand through his hair.

"I recommend investing in a PTSD service dog or send one to training. If I'm not mistaken, I did see a dog walking around here, correct?"

"Yes, sir. That's Apache, Cameron's now retired MWD. He and Cameron have a close relationship with each other," Jay explained.

"Can you call for the dog to come here really quick? My brother has a PTSD service dog, so I'd know if Apache would be good for the role," the paramedic stated. Jay nodded then whistled for Apache. A few thuds later, Apache was standing in front of Jay with a wagging tail.

"Apache, sit," Jay commanded. Apache obeyed kindly and sat down.

"It looks like he meets all the requirements just by me looking at him. I'll give the training place a call and get back to you," he said as he stood up and patted Apache's head. Apache licked his hand then looked toward the living room where Cameron was moved to. Sobs and the sound of fists connecting with skin filled the air. Apache jumped up and ran toward the living room, whimpering. Jay and the paramedic followed to see the paramedic's partner wrestling with Cameron.

"I need help! It's her subconscious!" the paramedic's partner yelled. Jay and the paramedic jumped in to help. Jay grabbed Cameron into a hug and pulled her back. Cameron thrashed in his hold and sobbed.

"I'm not weak. I'm not weak. Don't say that I'm weak," she kept muttering in her unconscious yet conscious state. Jay held onto her tighter.

"It's okay. I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere," Jay whispered as he rocked lightly with Cameron. Soon, Cameron was back to her unconscious state. Jay let out a breath of relief before standing up and laying Cameron down on the couch so the paramedic could finish his check up.

"I'm going to go give them a call right now," the paramedic whispered to Jay before disappearing outside. Cameron's parents ran into the living room a short time later with Marilyn behind them. Jamie started sobbing when she saw Cameron laying on the couch. Jay stood up and walked over to Jamie.