Chapter 8

Shelby

Ross and I made it into Olive Garden and walked around to try to find our family. Eventually we found them and we sat down.

"Shelby! Where have you been!" My father asked me.

"Sorry. I was at Tyler's last night and this morning. I forgot my bag at Tyler's so I couldn't call. But I ran into Ross and he drove me home." I replied, not telling them that I got 'hit by a car'. They wouldn't care anyway.

"Whatever. Let's just eat. I just ordered for you. We got each of you mac and cheese." My mother said.

We ate our food and the topic of Youtube came up.

"How can you call that a job? It's just making videos online for everyone to judge you." My father said.

"Actually, peo-" Ross started to say, but his father interrupted him.

"I agree with James. You both need a real job."

"We have a real job." I replied, trying not to get angry.

"No, you make silly videos online-"

"That pays us." I cut in. 

"You know what? They're right." Ross said.

"What?" I asked, concerned for my jobs sake.

"See, Ross understands it." My father says, taking another swig of his beer.

"It's not a job. A job is just something to get money from. What Shelby and I have, is a career. The difference is that we love how we make money." Ross says.

"Yeah." I respond. "I don't understand, we are making money, so what's the problem? Actually I don't even want to know." I say getting angrier as the words go through my mouth.

"Don't say anything you'll regret, sweetie." My mother says with a gentle, evil voice.

"Yeah, periods, am I right?"  My father says to Ross's father just loud enough for me to hear.

"I am not on my motherfu-" I started to say, when my chest started to sting. "Ow."

"Alright, it's time to go. Start walking to the car, Shelby. I'll be there in a sec." Ross said to me only loud enough for me to hear.

I walked out of the restaurant and leaned up against the car.

After 3 minutes, Ross walked back out. 

"Let's go back to your house and look at apartments." He said.

I nodded while he started the car and left.

After a while of driving, I asked Ross a question.

"Can I go get my purse from Tyler's? It shouldn't take long." 

"Sure."

I told him how to get there and eventually we made it. The car slowly pulled to a stop and I hopped out. Ross nodded at me, and I knocked on the door.

After a few seconds, Tyler answered the door. He gasped.

"Shelby, I thought you weren't ever coming back! Please let me explain and apologize." He said.

"No. I only came over here for my purse." I turned to my left and grabbed my purse that was still on the ground. "And if you didn't realize, we're over." And with that, I turned around, shut the door and ran to Ross's car.