13: Well, I'm Fucked

Toshiro's POV

"Do you accept, Captain Hitsugaya?" Lieutenant Abarai bows to me and stays like that. I sigh.

"Lieutenant, I don't know about this. This would leave my squad without anyone at all but our fourth seat. Since you want me, my lieutenant AND Grace to go with you, how would my squad fare?" I ask. I pinch the bridge of my nose. Lieutenant Abarai and Rukia Kuchiki were standing here asking me to go to the world of the living with them on a mission. They were already taking Yumichika Ayesegawa and Ikkaku Madarame, now they want Matsumoto, Grace and myself? I take a deep breath, and suddenly Grace runs through the door. She's holding her cell phone in one hand and her earbuds are in her ears. One is hanging out loosely and she has a scowl on her face.

"To-Captain Hitsugaya did you-" She began. I held a hand up.

"Not now Grace. I have a question for you- oh Abarai stand up straight already. I'm going to ask Grace about it alright,"I interrupted her and glanced back at the still bowing Lieutenant Abarai. Grace frowns.Abarai stands up straight and sort of blushes with embarrassment.

"What do you want to ask me?" She pretty much growls. My mouth twitches with the want to smile.

"Do you want to go to the world of the living? On a mission of course, not just out of a random desire,"I ask. She suddenly brightens.

"Yes! That sounds so cool! It'll give me a chance to see the other realm!" Grace says happily. I nod once and then turn back to Abarai.

"Then I guess we will go with you. Inform Matsumoto of course and then-"I began.

"Oh, Lieutenant Matsumoto already knows, captain," Grace interrupted me. I glanced at her.

"So you knew too?"I ask her curiously.

"Well yeah! You see, Lieutenant Abarai and Miss Rukia were told to pick people to go with them on the mission, and then Renji picked Ikkaku, and since Ikkaku was going Yumichika wanted to join in. Then Rangiku wanted to go, she thought it would be fun. But then Yumichika said he'd rather die than go with her, and so she asked me to come while Renji asked you, because she wanted me there to try and shove you and I together out of some odd reason. The whole thing is crazy," Grace blabbed. I raised an eyebrow turning from Renji to her again.

"What was that bit about Rangiku?" I asked. She tapped her chin.

"Looks like I forgot it, bye!" she said and suddenly turned and ran out the door.

"Ah-Grace! Come back!"I shouted and reached out for her. She'd already shunpo'd away. I sigh.

"Lieutenant Abarai when are we to leave?"I ask. He smiles apologetically.

"Immediately..." He answered. I facepalmed, a loud smack echoing in the room. I sighed.

"Fine, go gather everyone. I'll go after Grace and Matsumoto,"I tell him. He nods once and leaves with Rukia. I leave to inform the fourth seat and then find Rangiku and Grace. Grace seemed weird....I hope she's ok. 

Grace's POV

I hope I didn't seem.... weird. It was just awkward talking to him after last night. And I can really say....I don't want to be involved like that with anyone.

Sure ya do. Tengokuhime says distantly. I think she's scared to get yelled at again.

No I don't.

No, you're just afraid of being hurt. I almost laugh. She got it right.

"Grace!" I hear someone call out from behind me as I was running. I stopped and turned. Toshiro ran up to me and stood close to me.