Food of my Ancestors

Start from the beginning

I laughed.

Cals came out her room.

"So we gon turn the lights off and when she come in and when she turn it on we gon say surprise." I told everybody. "Auggie we might need you to get behind the couch because she might see that big ass head in the dark. We know we can't hide that."

Ra laughed.

"He not funny. He's a clown." He told Ra.

"Auggie would you calm down. Miri is just silly. We know that. Let him be."

"Maybe you should be with Miri. Let him love you. Since he so sweet and funny and shit." He sat on the couch low key mad, pouting.

"he so sensitive. I can't deal." Ra mumbled to me and sighed, shaking her head.

I looked at the clock. "Aight she about to be here. Remember be quiet and when she turn on the light say surprise."

"Surprise." Shantel said.

"Not yet babygirl when she come through the door." Auggie laughed.

"Oop." She covered her mouth.

"Aug hit the light." I told him.

Auggie got up taking him and Shantel
With him. Me, Cals, and Ra bent down behind the counter. Auggie cut off the light and him and Na-Na got behind the couch.

A couple of minutes later we heard keys rumble and the door open.

"Damn why y'all got all the lights out." Morgan said as she hit the switch.

"Surprise!" we all yelled.

Morgan laughed shocked. "It ain't my birthday tho."

"We know baby. We just wanted to celebrate you getting back in school so you can live out your dream of opening a restaurant." I went over to her, grabbed her waist and kissed her lips.

"Miri it's only been two months?" She laughed.

"That still deserves celebration. All you been through." Cals pushed me out the way and held her tight.

"Awe thank y'all."

Na gave her a princess hat.

"Aw thank you sweetie." She patted her head.

"Now to your celebratory dinner. This is the food of my ancestors and hip-hop legends. Bae you gon love this." I took her hand and showed her to the kitchen.

"Oh my God." She laughed when she saw it.

"Just know he did all that by himself." Auggie said coming to the kitchen with Shantel where everybody was.

"Thank you baby. It's sweet." She laughed and pecked my lips.

"Alright can y'all bow y'all heads as we say grace." I told everybody.

Everybody bowed they head.

"Dear God, we come to you saying thank your for allowing us all to be here to celebrate this wonderful woman who has overcame unimaginable odds and still didn't break. I thank you for allowing bobby rays rice to work to bring her to me."