Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet - Chapter Forty-One

Oh, yes. You're not dreaming. Today was definitely a double upload (Welcome to Eureka.)

This hasn't happened in a very long time, for which, I apologize.

Furthermore, it was my birthday yesterday! I had a rather good time, turning (insert undisclosed age.) I ate pancakes for breakfast, and spent the day reading The Collector. So so so good!

And I realized, yesterday ( a month late, too ) that it was fall! How's your guys' season going? Personally, fall is my favorite, but maybe I'm biased because I was born in it. But come on - it's just so darn pretty.

Enough with my rambling! Thank you guys for commenting on the last chapter! I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again - your comments are what really keep me going. So thanks! + Enjoy!

-jennaxxx

Chapter Forty-One

“Shit.”

“I know.”

“Wow.”

“I know.”

“Shit.”

“Hazel -,”

“I thought it would look okay -,”

“I know,” Austin frowned, probably irritated by my dumbfounded-ness. “But it’s not that bad?”

“Austin,” I frowned at him. “It’s downright obnoxious.”

Austin, not being as calculative as I was when it came to color, simply didn’t notice it. But I could barely fathom how he couldn’t notice it. Maybe I was being too picky…

Hell. That wasn’t true.

The car? Well, it wasn’t its beautiful, classy, muted cherry red.

It was red. Like scarlet. Like in-your-face, this-is-RED-and-you’d-better-fucking-notice-it.

“He’s going to hate me,” I moaned, smacking my head on the glossy finish of it.

“It’s really not that bad -,”

“Bullshit,” I told Austin, honestly trying to be as genial as I could. Everything else was done, and perfect. But the color...? I couldn’t give Erick a red-red car. I couldn’t. “I’m sorry,” I frowned. “Do you have any other colors?”

“I have white, lime green,” he paused to grimace, “this red, and black.” He frowned back to me. “If you want the old color, I’m sorry, but it’ll cost you more. I’d have to order it, and it’d take at least a week more to totally finish.”

I’d managed to get a few babysitting jobs in for the holidays, but Austin hadn’t acquired much more money than I’d gotten from Clayton. “I did some babysitting?” I offered, a tad bit hopeful. But paint jobs were expensive, weren’t they? My heart sank some more. “But probably not enough…” I frowned.

Then there was the heated internal debate. Black would’ve been okay – better than white or lime green – I thought. But would it be too much of a change? And Erick thought of his car like it was his lady. How’d he react if it was so different? Maybe it wasn’t as obnoxious as I thought? Maybe he wouldn’t notice the red…

But who was I kidding? I couldn’t wait a week.

“Listen Austin,” I turned to him, dead serious. I couldn’t show how obviously unnerved I was about a mere color. Poker face, Hazel – poker face. “I’m going to be back. Probably with Erick,” I scowled slightly, knowing that it’d sort of botch my surprise. “But we’re going to get this color thing figured out. Right now, I need you to drive me over to his house.”