Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet - Chapter Three

Chapter Three

“He was brilliant,” Spencer admired Erick’s plan. “The plan is bloody perfect.”

“It’s alright,” I grumbled. It was only the second day of school, and already, people were becoming stunned by Erick. Truthfully, I was angry I didn’t come up with a plan like his.

And truthfully, it was really good.

 “Are you still mad about yesterday?” He asked, frowning as we walked to History.

“No.” I could see how he thought I was upset, but it wasn’t about the pool. I’d long gotten over that. Right now, I was just being distant. This was regular for me. I got angry, I got distant, and then I got back to normal.

“Sure,” Spencer rolled his eyes.

We sat through History together, and finally, when it was over, I decided I wasn’t angry at Erick. “That was the most boring class of my life.” Spencer widened his eyes as he said it, in efforts of keeping himself awake.

“Ooh, I've got a good idea! We could take shifts sleeping through it,” I offered.

“Oh that is good! I get it first!” He called walking away.

“No fair, it was my idea!” I shouted as he ran, pretending to not hear me.

I smiled, and turned around quickly.

And – SMACK!

“Why do you always do that?”

“Well, why are you always so close?” I mumbled, fixing my hair.

“I was going to talk to you."

“What do you want?” I asked harshly.

“I’m sorry for being such a dick," Erick shrugged.

“I’m sorry for kneeing you in the balls yesterday,” I shrugged back.

He let out a small sigh of frustration, but continued on, “I just figure, if we’re going to be working together then we should at least try and be on good terms." I felt relieved; it didn’t seem natural for him to apologize. “Are we good?”

“No,” I said simply. “The nature of our relationship started rocky, and so it should stay rocky. The group can learn to work with that. It’d just feel to synthetic trying to be nice to each other, and the plan has to be organic.”

He grinned ever so slowy, “I like you better already.”

“Agree to disagree?” I offered him a hand.

“Sure,” he took it, and gave it one, firm shake. “What have you got now?”

“Chemistry with Abraham,” I answered, looking at my schedule.

“Me too,” he answered my unspoken question. “Walk?”

This was too weird. “Maybe if we keep like, a two foot distance. If I get too close to you, I might want to kick your crotch again.” I smirked.

The ends of his lips tightened into a small curl. “Deal. Stay the hell away from me, " he smiled.

When I found that I didn’t know anyone in the class, I took the empty seat next to Erick. He gave me a weird look. “You’re the only decent one in the class.” I confessed. He smirked. “Before you say anything, no one was sitting with you either. And hey, what’s up with that? It’s not like you’re ugly, but you’ve got like, no friends, but -,"

Sometimes, my mouth is faster than my brain.

“Thank you and thank you. I know I’m both decent and handsome.”