Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet - Chapter Thirty-Eight

Hello lovely people!

I loved all your reactions to my last two chapters. That just needed to be said. You guys are the most wonderful fans, EVER! I love you! :)

And so, I couldn't torture you any longer. Here's Chapter Thirty-Eight!

-jennaxxx

ps. what do you think of the new cover? good? bad? let me know! + comment!

Chapter Thirty-Eight

They were sneaking around, all over the building, being like spies, and I was sitting in that stupid hospital bed, staring at my fingers. I wanted to be a spy, damn it. But no; I was stuck there, with the smell of antiseptic stinging my senses, while the guys went out and tried to find out if Erick was okay – or alive. At least I was clearing my mind, sitting there by myself.

Not that I didn’t put up a fight when they told me I was in no condition to go running around the hospital with them.

Besides,” Spencer told me. “If a nurse sees you in that hospital gown, don’t you think she’ll be a little suspicious of what’s going on?”

I told him that if he wanted, I could wear his clothes, and he could run around in the hospital gown, or better yet, stay in the damned bed. I even offered to shove the freaking IV down his throat, or if he preferred, up his ass.

He rolled his eyes at me and stalked out, cursing me, but before leaving, Lucas gave me a quick wry smile, commending how even in a hospital, with mind-splitting headaches and bruised ribs - I was still the fieriest girl he’d ever seen. I smirked, and told him that Cindy might beat me someday. He reddened, huffed, and walked away to find Mrs. Perkins with the rest of them.

It was our best bet, to find her first. Surely she’d know where Erick was, or how he was doing. The accident was close to Clayton’s exhibit, so it was beyond me how I’d gotten back to the one, nearest to home. Right then, there were a lot of things beyond me, to be honest.

And so I sat, staring at my fingers, and secretly wondering what it’d be like to punch Erick in the face.

Satisfying, I concluded.

It must’ve been at least half an hour before Spencer popped into my room with Nathan. They grinned wickedly at me, but made no move to speak. “Tell me you’ve found him,” I sighed, sitting up. “Tell me he’s fine.”

“He got out of surgery a little while ago,” Spencer nodded, and I let out a breath of relief.

“He’s sleeping now,” Nathan smiled down at me. “But wait a few hours, and I’m sure you’ll be able to sneak into his room.”

“Yeah – we found Mrs. Perkins, and with a little persuading on her part, we got Erick into a room just down the hall. Room 103,” Spencer grinned.

“Where’s Luke?” I asked, furrowing my brow, even though I was overjoyed. Something about hearing it from Spencer and Nathan comforted me, but I still had to see it for myself. When Mom died, the doctors were convinced that she was fine – that the chemo was going better than ever. They were wrong. Dead wrong.

“He’s calling Jane, and by the look on his face, she’s not being very pleasant right now,” Nathan chuckled. “Something about how she was going to kick Erick’s ass…”

“What even happened?” I frowned, despite the want to smile to myself. “I hardly remember anything.”

“Mrs. Perkins said it was a patch of black ice on the side of the road,” Spencer said. “The cops told her that you were lucky that the truck driver was there to call an ambulance.”