Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet - Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

“We’re going to the beach again,” Lucas declared as I sat down at the lunch table.

“Are we meeting the Riverside kids?” I asked, confused.

“Nah, just ‘cause,” Spencer explained.

“Erick’s going to give you a ride home to grab a swim suit,” Lucas continued. “And pick a one piece, for god’s sake.”

“WHAT?!” I yelled. “What’s wrong with me wearing a bikini, Luke? What are you trying to say? Because I am not fat, you asshole!”

“Calm down, Haze,” he went wide eyed at my fit. “It’s weird seeing you dressed so…”

“So what?! So skimpy? I don’t know if you’ve noticed Luke, but bikinis aren’t slutty. Just because someone wears a two-piece, it doesn’t mean they’ll end up on the street corner!” I exploded again.

“I was going to say,” Lucas cut me off sharply. “It’s weird seeing you dress so, I don’t know, girly?”

I clenched my fists and the veins running down my arms popped ever so slightly. Erick must’ve noticed, because he spoke up.

“I don’t think you’re making this any better, man,” he said in a hushed tone, which would’ve calmed me if I weren’t so angry.

“HE’S RIGHT! I’m a girl! I can dress girly! See, this?” I pointed at my shirt. “It’s pink! Pink is girly!”

By this time, Jane and Jordan had joined us, and Macy was making her way over with Matt.

“Yeah, but Haze, it’s a button-down,” Spencer defended Lucas.

“You aren’t making it any better either, buddy!” I pointed at him angrily. “What do you expect me to do?! Wear lacey tops and skirts all the time?” I looked between Macy and Jane. “I dress girly, don’t I?”

Jane giggled. “I don’t know, Haze. Most of the girly stuff I’ve seen you wear was bought by me.”

“Jane. You’re like, one of my best friends. You were supposed to back me up, dude.” I told her, through clenched teeth. She shrugged.

“I honestly don’t know why you’re getting so worked up,” Nathan chimed in. “I think your look works for you.”

I smiled his way. “Thank you Nate! See,” I looked at Lucas. “Nate knows what he’s saying.”

“Whatever Hazel. Pick a one piece,” Lucas said again.

“You’re not the boss of me,” I scoffed. He actually had the audacity to say that to me. “I’ll do what I want.”

He rolled his eyes at me. Macy must’ve finally caught on. “Are you guys going down to the beach?”

I nodded. She and Matt shared a look. Like she was asking him permission to come with us. He turned back and cheerily asked, “Mind if we come with?”

“Nah, it’s a free world,” Spencer grinned.

“What about you two?” Macy looked between Jane and Jordan.

“We’ve got plans after school, sorry,” she giggled again. Lucas whistled, and Jordan became flustered.

“It’s nothing like that, Luke,” he said seriously. Lucas just gave a sheepish smile.

“Macy, what kind of swimsuit are you going to be wearing?” I asked her, still bursting with contempt.

“I got this really cute one over summer. It’s like, a bandeau top, you know?” I smiled at her, because for once, I did know.