Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet - Chapter Thirty-Seven

I'm sorry it's such a short chapter! But I couldn't figure out any other way to get the feel of this one...

Anyways, I really hope you like it! It's a major twist which fit right into the grand scheme of things, so I was very excited to come to writing this part! :)

Enjoy + Comment!

-jennaxxx

Chapter Thirty-Seven

Somewhere on the deserted highway, I unbuckled my seatbelt and cleverly shimmied back into my dress, and Erick kept his eyes on the road like his life depended on it. It was still slightly damp, but the heat of the car had warmed it comfortably. Erick turned the heat on, as high as it would go, and even though we were both on the verge of perspiration, he just adamantly shook his head.

“You’re not going to have hypothermia on my watch,” he’d said.

“So what? You’ll give me hyperthermia? A heatstroke?” I retorted, irritated, and slapping his hand away when he tried to impede my fingers from turning down the damned temperature.

When I looked back over at Erick, he seemed to be in severe discomfort, as per usual lately. “What?” he asked me, catching my eyes narrowing in on him.

“Go to the doctor, Erick! Jesus, fuck! It’s not a hard concept to understand: when you don’t feel well physically, you get medical help.” I crossed my arms, getting fed up with him, and just a tad bit worried.

Erick winced and glared down at the grey road passing with each second. “I told you. I was busy today.”

I rolled my eyes, before remembering that he had said he was busy. “Yeah, what’re you so busy with these days?”

“Nothing,” Erick said stiffly. “Not now, anyways.”

“Because of me,” I mumbled, sullen. “You know,” I offered. “You could still just turn this car around and -,”

“No.”

“But -,”

“Hazel,” Erick cut me off again, stopping his cringing and grimacing long enough to give me a pointed look. “No.”

“Fine,” I huffed. Noticing the way he shifted, squirming under his seatbelt, I frowned. “You’d better hurry up then. I don’t know how long you’ll last.”

“I’ll last plenty. I’m a big guy. I can handle a little bit of discomfort,” he swatted my hand as I tried to lower the heat again. “Stop that.”

I slumped back into the passenger seat and watched as Erick drove through the night. It was a midnight blue, almost indigo color, and so intense. We were one of the only people on the highways, and I could just imagine how creepy it would be to get onto the freeway again.

So when Erick pulled out into the freeway, and we were ten minutes away from Clayton’s exhibit, I looked down and pressed my dress down, fiddled with my fingers – anything to keep away from the thought that we might run over a cat, or something, and not even know because of the pitch color.

But the next thing I knew was blinding lights. Blinding lights, a distinct curse from beside me, and swerving. Whether it was in that order or not, I didn’t know.

__

“Shit,” I mumbled feebly, wincing from the light as it shone through my eyelids. There was gentle throbbing in my ribs, and periodic pains in my head, and I wondered what the hell I did to deserve it.