Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet - Chapter Six

Chapter Six

“Do you know the way to the beach?” I followed Erick to his beautiful, beautiful car.

“Yeah,” he grunted while unlocking the door.

This boy was so unbelievably confusing.

I climbed into the passenger seat as he started the car. We didn’t speak during the length of the drive. He didn’t even turn on the radio. What a buzz-kill. I had time to think of what a drag he would be for the rest of the year.

As soon as he pulled up, I hopped out of the car, eager to get away from his silence. It was much nicer today, thankfully. Spencer and Lucas weren’t here yet. But I could’ve sworn they were ahead of us. Great. More quality time with Erick.

I turned to the ocean and breathed the smell in, when I noticed Erick standing beside me. Was he always this tall? I don’t remember having to look up when I spoke to him. That’s when I heard a car pull up. Both Erick and I snap around at the same time. He stays behind while I go running up to the little boy in glasses.

“JOHNNY!” I ran up to him. I almost felt bad; I didn’t want Erick to think I was running away from him.

“Hazel!” He gave a grin. “Erick,” he smiled past me. I turned around and watched Erick walk up to my side.

“Hey,” he forced a smile. I looked past Johnny to see some new cars pull up. Riversiders, I presumed.

“Here’s my team,” Johnny said, looking back, motioning for the cars to come up. They pulled in, and the Riversiders piled out and joined us.

“Hazel, right?” One of the boys asked. Blond hair mounted itself cutely on top of his head. I smiled back and nodded. He was cute. “Johnny talks a lot about you. He’s never mentioned how cute you are though,” he gave a wink.

“Keep it in your pants, Case,” Johnny laughed.

“It’s not his fault your descriptions don’t do me any justice Johnny,” I grinned. A little shameless flirting never hurt anyone, right? I heard Erick shuffle his feet around, kicking the grainy sand.

“I like her already,” the boy said to Johnny, not breaking eye-contact with me.

“If you two are done, I’ve got to introduce you to the rest of us,” Johnny sighed. “This is Alex,” he pointed to a short girl. Her bleach blonde hair was cut into wisps, and looked incredibly stylish.

“Hi!” She chirped happily. “Johnny really does say a lot about you guys.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” I smiled as genuinely as I could. “And I’m sure he does. This one doesn’t know how to shut his mouth, does he?” I playfully elbowed Johnny.

Oh god, I hated the casualties.

“I’m Gabriel, Gabe,” one of the other boys said. He was tall, nearly as tall as Erick.

I knew I had to try and remember them by their names, at least. So I used their features.

“I’m Cindy,” one girl said. Her voice was soft, but strong.

“Her real names Cinderella, but she hates it,” the first boy said. Oh, what was his name? Shoot.

She hit him. Hard. I smiled, as he rubbed his shoulder in compliance. “Damn Cindy,” he muttered under his breath.

“And last but not least,” Johnny rolled his eyes, “this hopeless flirt.”

The boy perked right up, and gave me a breath taking smile. “I’m Casey.”