Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet - Chapter Thirty

Oh my gosh! Chapter Thirty - already!

I was actually supposed to have this up last night, but it needed some more work. In return, I elongated it, so I hope that makes up for being a tad late. :)

Also: who do you picture as the boys? Lucas, Nate, and Spencer? And Jane? I'm totally stumped - I need your help!

-jennaxxx

Chapter Thirty

When I slid into Erick’s car the next morning, he was faintly grimacing. “What’s the matter?” I asked, swinging the door shut and fastening my seatbelt.

“Stomachache.”

“Ha-ha,” I said dryly. “Very funny. You only had one bite, Erick.”

“That was two days ago,” his scowl worsened, but was directed at me this time. “I must’ve eaten something bad last night.”

“You’re not going to puke, are you?” I asked warily.

Erick rolled his eyes. “No,” he glanced at me. “I’m pretty sure I can handle a little stomachache, Hazel. You’re safe.”

“Just saying. If you puke, I probably will too.”

He chuckled a little. “Noted.”

The rest of the ride to school was peacefully silent, other than the bark of laughter Erick gave when he spotted a dead bird at the side of the road. “Poor bird!” I frowned at the bottom of the stop sign, where it lay. I turned to glare at Erick. “Stop laughing, asshole!”

He shut his mouth, but snickered a few minutes after, having been unable to hold it while I kept my eyes glued to the side of the road. “Searching for road-kill?

I reached over and flicked the corner of his eye.

“Oh,” he said sarcastically. “Ouch.”

“Fuck you,” I grumbled, gluing my eyes back onto the side of the road.

When he pulled into the school parking lot, I bolted out of his car to head to History; I needed to give Spencer his notes back. But as usual, I never managed to maneuver my way around Jane and her wrath.

“Have you tried on your heels?” Jane smiled excitedly.

I sighed and shook my head. “I’m bloody dreading it. What if I fall or something? Break a leg?”

She groaned. “Hazel, you’ll be fine! Don’t sweat! Just practice a little beforehand.” We both knew that ‘a little’ meant a-lot.

She walked with me towards History, even though her class was at the other end of the school. I glanced suspiciously at her – and I noticed Jane was avoiding my gaze. “What is it, Janey?” I asked suspiciously.

Jane smiled sheepishly. “How do you feel about going on a double date with me…?”

I laughed. For a while. “What?!

She scowled at me and looked away. “Well then – forget I ever asked.”

“Shut up, Jane,” I smiled to myself. “You know I’ll do anything for you. But why me? I’m not exactly the most compatible person in the world.”

“Yeah,” Jane drawled. “But Kev said his friend was really quiet, and you’re possibly the loudest girl I know -,”

“Thanks,” I said dryly.