Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet - Chapter Thirty-Nine

Ack; it's been a week!

Class is going to gobble me up and spit me out like tobacco.

Anyways, here's another chapter! I don't have much else to say other than : please comment! And I love you :)

-jennaxxx

Chapter Thirty-Nine

It was days before Erick and I got out of the hospital, though I was checked out first. He still needed to be monitored a few more days; as apparently, Erick had some internal damage after the accident. Mrs. Perkins took some time to tell us everything about the accident, and how the car ran straight, sideways, into a ditch. It was either that, or a giant mass of oak trees, and again, I was aware of Erick having saved my life.

 It was mindless to leave him in that bleak place, all by himself, though. And besides, Lucas, Spencer, and Nathan were already long gone. Jane was busy taking care of Lionel while their parents were away, and I was worried that if I called her over, she’d leave the little man in the tub with a toaster or something. All in all, Erick was all I had left.

I only saw my dad twice during my week at the hospital. The first occasion was seemingly unsettling as I went to sleep, that night, at the foot of Erick’s bed as we talked until my eyes drooped, but the next morning, I woke up back in my old room. Alone.

Rather than screaming, which was very difficult to restrain from, I simply snuck back into Erick’s room, only too barge in on a nurse at his bedside. She looked up at me, and I froze.

“Why the fuck not?!” I demanded when she said I couldn’t be in Erick’s room.

The woman pursed her lips at me after taking a singly, deep, condescending breath. “Dr. Wray has given special order to the staff, to make sure you stay in your room, and out of his,” she said in an unbelievably annoying voice.

I let out an incredulous laugh, trying to fathom the gall of my father. “Yeah?” I asked her, my voice calm. “Then you can tell Dr. Wray that if he wants to give me orders, then he should’ve gotten a dog instead.”

The woman opened her mouth but Erick spoke before she could produce any more of that nasally sound. “Ms. Lauren,” Erick gave her a charmingly small smile. “I don’t mean to overstep, but she’s just like this,” his eyes darted to mine, and he smiled again, probably at the way I was gaping at him and his uncharacteristic behavior. Looking back to her, he said, “And sometimes it’s just best to let her have her way. Would you mind bringing Mr. Wray here, ma’am? If he’s not busy…”

I got a good look at the woman; she had to be in her thirties, at least, and wore a pair of loose pink scrubs. Her hair was pulled back tightly into a ponytail, and her eyebrows were arched almost angrily. But despite the way her eyes looked because of them, I noticed the slack in her shoulders, and a shameless smile on her lips. “Of course,” she smiled at Erick.

For a moment, she just stood looking at him, and so I looked at Erick too. He was still subtly smiling at her, and with the way his hair was disheveled beyond repair, and his hospital gown rumpled over his torso, he looked something of a hot mess. A hot, hot mess.

Snapping out of it, I cleared my throat and narrowed my eyes at her. She stood awkwardly for a second before swiftly exiting Erick’s room, at which point, I shook my head, laughing at him. “Slut,” I smiled to myself.

“Hey,” Erick shrugged, his wrinkled gown ruffling a little. He lazily gave a cheeky half-smile, and said, “It worked, didn’t it?”

I sat down at the foot of his bed again and raised my eyebrows at him. “I don’t understand why it worked though,” I lied. I knew exactly why it worked. Erick looked down-right sexy, all bruised up like that. As if he needed any more help in that area, anyways.