Clinically Mad

"It's not uncommon to have nightmares" Ash Landers says as he paces back and forth. "Personally I enjoy them" he gave a smirk.

I sat in the corner, strangely calm. I simply watched him go back and forth across the bedroom I had once woken him up in.

"Most people find them dissatisfying, sometimes even scary, but they're there for you to confront your fear in a safe atmosphere" he paused to gaze out the window, the sun glimmering off his white hair.

"That is, of course, as long as you don't have an angel on your tail, then you're never safe" he gave a soft laugh and dragged his feet as he approached me, slowly and steadily.

Ash leaned over to be face to face with me. There were no chains, there were no restraints, yet I couldn't move. I didn't feel fear or my heart beating out of my chest, I only watched him with steady breaths.

"Don't you agree (Y/N)?" He had a smug grin as he tilted his head. It was like cat and mouse, and I was his prey. He enjoyed toying with me, I could tell.

I only nodded. He placed a hand on my cheek and gently stroked it. His eyes narrowed and his brows furrowed, but his grin remained.

"You're a very brave girl, you know that?" I nodded, his hand still resting upon my cheek.

"But there's nothing to worry about sweet child" his eyes softened and he stood up straight again, removing his hand. I nodded as though I knew what he was speaking of.

I looked at the window and caught a glimpse at myself. I was a child again, youthful and happy. My father has invited this man to visit me after the strange boy spoke with me in the graveyard. The boy was bad.

"We'll find him" Ash spoke. He gestured toward the door. I stood up and seemingly floated toward the exit.

"And we'll kill him" the man said as I opened the door.

I jerked awake in a cold sweat, my hair sticking to my face. I glanced around the bedroom, it was empty, but a chair was next to the bed as though it had been occupied.

I never want to see that man again. I won't see that man again. He's dead. I killed him. There's no way he's still alive.

I put my feet onto the cold floor, my legs weak as I stood. My nightdress fell to my bony knees. Taking small steady steps, I made my way to the doorway.

In the kitchen stood Ciel Phantomhive, his butler, Adrian, and a stranger. I pushed my hair from my face, it seems to be a bit longer than I remember.

"Excuse me" my voice was quiet and scratchy. It hurt the back of my throat to speak. The attention in the room turned to me. Adrian's mouth opened, as did the stranger's, but the Phantomhive remained emotionless.

"S-she's awake?!" The stranger had red hair and some freckles dotted his face. From my judgement he was a part of Scotland Yard.

I only yawned in response. "(Y/N), back to the bed! You're too weak to be up" Adrian rushed me back to bed where I was forced to sit. His posse followed and spread out in the room.

"What happened?" My head was spinning, and I was frustrated that my memory is failing me.

"A series of strange occurrences. Night terrors, screaming and lashing out, but no sign of consciousness. Laying in bed with your eyes open but not responding. Mumbling strange words that make absolutely no sense, you're clinically mad" Ciel spoke, he stood with importance.

"No, I just went to sleep last night" I nervously shook my head as I glanced around the room.

"Dear, you've been sleeping for four days" I suddenly felt sick, choking up. My eyes darted around the room for answers.

Adrian sat beside me and placed a hand upon my back, gently rubbing it. He had the same gentle touch as Ash in my dream. Or nightmare. It sent chills down my spine.

"I-I'm fine now" I stammered, my voice shaky. "I was only tired, I'm o-okay now."

"I was ready to pronounce you brain dead Mrs. Crevan. You're not okay" the redhead said. I ignored him, he seemed ignorant.

"Where are the children?" I ask, looking out the window.

"At your father's" Adrian said softly. I leaned toward him and closed my eyes.

"I'm fine, really. Just a bit ill is all" I reassured the police man. That's all this was, some sort of flu, or perhaps I have pneumonia as well. Either way I am not dead at all, I'm perfectly alive.

"Regain your strength and we'll come back to see if you're fit for average life" the man stated, still seeming shaken by my awakening.

"Thank you" Adrian spoke my mind. Moisture began to grow in my throat making it easier to talk, and breath for that matter.

After a few final words between the men in the kitchen, the three outsiders left. Soon Adrian brought me a bowl of potato soup that he had made for the kids before he sent them to my father's.

I only ate a few spoonfuls before I felt full and sick to my stomach. Sure, this want like me, but I only assume it's because I am sick.

"Maybe I'll try toast in the morning" I gave a small grin as I returned the bowl to Adrian. Out the window, the sun was setting and painting the sky beautiful shades of red and purple.

Adrian prepared himself for bed, and I changed into a clean nightgown and rinsed my hair. Soon we were both back in bed together, I felt safe next to him, but quickly felt anxious as I realized that I wasn't sleeping.

After four full days of sleep I can hardly bring myself to wink. I toss and turn, stare out the window at the snow. How boring night was without anything to do.

Once Adrian began shuffling I closed my eyes and at least pretended to be asleep, for his sake. Before leaving for the parlor he kissed my forehead and left me a note.

My eyes burned from being open all night, and my mind was switching on and off. Right and wrong. Up and down. It was going a million miles a minute and I didn't think I would ever get it to stop.