Illness

I woke up to Scarlett shaking my shoulders and shouting for me. She had a panicked look on her face as she pulled me from bed, still in my nightgown.

"Mommy! Mommy! Something is wrong with Ian!" She yelled, yanking me to hers and Ian's room. As soon as I heard that I was fully alert. I rushed to Ian's bed where he lay unconscious.

I forcefully take his shoulders and begin shaking him, trying to wake him up. He slowly opened his eyes, sending me flashbacks.

I did it.

Echoed in my mind.

I punished the innocent.

The words beat against my mind like an axe to a tree.

And I enjoyed it.

Ian's limp body brought back horrid memories of when I had beat Adrian. How I savored his screams. As Ian grew conscious I held him close to me. I was afraid for his life, yes, but I was also afraid for my sanity.

Ian coughed as I peeled his body from mine. His eyes were glazed over and half lidded. I rushed him to the kitchen where I turned on the faucet and splashed water upon his face.

The water woke him up and his body suddenly became more firm. I held his head to my chest as tears streamed down my cheek. I was sobbing over one of my children I had almost lost in the night.

"Baby, we're going to take you to the doctor, he'll make it all better okay?" I said, sniffling. Ian only shook due to the water, his eyes wide open and glossy looking.

"Scarlett, go get your brother's coat, put your boots and coat on as well honey, bundle up" I ordered her. Yanking my coat from a kitchen chair, I slipped it on between cradling Ian's head in my arms, gently as if he were still an infant.

Scarlett returned and handed me Ian's coat. I covered him with his and carried him out the door, Scarlett holding onto my nightgown as if she'd get lost without it's guidance. Through the snow I carried Ian's small body and lead Scarlett to town, a good mile walk. Occasionally I'd check to be sure Ian was still breathing.

"Mommy, I'm cold" Scarlett whined.

"I know sweetie, we'll be there soon" I replied, recovering Ian. Soon we arrived at the door of the doctor and I burst in, out of breath and cold. Adrian was already at work so I had this work placed upon me and me alone.

"Please, can you help my son?" I asked in a desperate voice. The secretary rushed from behind his desk and outstretched his arms. I gently placed Ian in his arms and followed him back to a room with a fire place, a desk, and a bed.

The man placed Ian in the bed and moved to the desk where multiple medical necessities were. He washed his hands and returned to Ian who had closed his eyes and curled up into fetal position.

"What happened?" The secretary asked, removing Ian's coat.

"Scarlett here woke me up, he was unconscious and barely moved until I splashed his face with water" I said, rubbing Scarlett's back. The secretary peeled Ian's eyelids back to get a look at his eyes. He then had Ian open his mouth.

"I'll get the doctor as soon as he can come in, but he doesn't seem to be in urgent need of care" the secretary said before leaving the room to fetch the doctor. I sat on the bed beside Ian and he huddled next to me for warmth. Scarlett climbed onto my lap and played with my hair.

A faint smile crossed my lips before it faded away. One of my babies was sick, and children surviving illness isn't at an all time high. I'd never be able to forgive myself if Ian died.

Within a few minutes the doctor comes into the room and I move away from Ian with Scarlett. The doctor inspected Ian, not speaking while he did so, a hum every now and then.

"It seems to be pneumonia, I can give you some anti-inflammatory medicine for his lungs, but he'll have to get rid of whatever gunk is in his lungs on his own" the doctor said. I nodded as he handed me a bottle of liquid medicine he took off a shelf.

"How would you like me to pay you? For your services" I asked, afraid the bill might be too high. The doctor only looked at the clock then returned his gaze to me.

"Since it's before sunrise, I won't charge you. Consider it payment to your husband for my wife's funeral expenses" he replied in a monotonous tone. I nodded and shook his hand before taking Scarlett and Ian out of the room. Scarlett wasn't as weak as Ian was, so she helped him walk.

I took them to Adrian's parlor. I wasn't even properly dressed, but I didn't want to make Ian go through the cold again, even if he did have medicine. As I entered the parlor, Adrian turned around, he was standing beside a coffin.

"Ian is sick, the doctor says its pneumonia, he gave us this-" I was cut off by the body in the coffin sitting up as if fully alive. The body had long, vibrant red hair, and it was wearing what seemed to be part of a suit.

"Who is that!?" The body exclaimed. It wore sharp, jagged teeth and red glasses.

"Grell, meet my wife, (Y/N)" Adrian said with a faded smile. Grell got out of the coffin and walked over to me.

"How can she be your wife?! She's not even wearing a day dress!" Grell exclaimed. I only stood there, feeling as though what I had to say was more important.

"Be nice now Grell, there's children here" Scarlett beamed up at Adrian.

"Adrian I really think you-" I was cut off again.

"How could you have chose that hag over me?! I'm the most beautiful lady you'll ever meet!" Grell shouted. I wasn't too sure if Grell was male or female, they had the long hair and called themself a lady but didn't look like they had the body form of a woman.

"She's the most beautiful in my eyes" Adrian said calmly with a smile. As Grell continued to shout and Adrian kept replying I grew frustrated.

"Adrian! I'd like to speak with you" I yelled, then I glanced over at Grell. "Alone."

A/N
Okay so I just finished the first request from the last chapter, I haven't had much time to do things between school, soccer, and other events. But I will try...even though I've said so a lot already...but I will try to update more frequently. Thank you all for the support of my story and as long as you want I will continue it!