Chapter 15: The Ride

-NINA'S POV-

I walked over to where Shea was tacking up his adorable horse. I looked into the stable and leant against the door. Seemingly feeling another's presence Shea looked up and gave me a smile that was infused with happiness.

"Can I come in?" I asked, carefully stroking Socks' muzzle.
"Sure!" He said as he fitted the girth loosely on the second last hole.

I walked over and helped by doing the bridle up for him. "So who's riding today with us?"

"Well so far its just you, me and Nika. I overheard Jannet saying that she was going to try, but shes not dressed for it at all. And by the way that Cory is looking at your friend, I think he's hoping to come along as well." He nodded over to where Cory's gaze hadn't strayed since we got here.

Realising that we had finished tacking up, I grabbed Shea's hand and smirked, "I helped with your horse, now you help with mine!" He wrapped his long arm around my waist and we walked out of the stable together.

In the tack room, I gave the surprisingly light saddle to Shea and took the bridle for myself. Seeing my horse in these stables, felt surreal. I jogged over just as she nickered in my direction. The spare stables that Savvie and Joker were able to occupy were much more spacious and roomy than the ones at the stables back home.

_____

Soon enough everyone was on horseback and we were setting off for our ride, Sock, Savvie and Joker, as the two of them were almost always joined to the hip, rode up at the front, closely followed by Cory who was riding Thunder and Jannet and Mia who surprisingly changed into jodhpurs to join us.  Every so often we would hear a complaint from behind us about a level of discomfort they felt, which we mostly ignored. I sent a knowing glance to Nika, which she returned with an eye roll, unbelieving what she was hearing.

We had trailed down a small path that lead to where the dam was, and timidly, one by one each horse waded willingly into the water, all except Thunder. Beacuse of his stocky frame and unsure footing, he missed the gentle slope that lead down and instead sped down the steep and narrow bank. All the while, Cory was tring to show off his terrible horsemanship, courtesy of Nika, which led to him eventually being dropped off the horse like a stone, luckily, the soft reeds amongst the water broke and tried to soften his painful bellyflop of a fall. As we were all trying to process what had happened, Jannet screamed in horror. While our eyes fell on her, the horses side stepped away in confusion while Jannet's horse Ladybug bucked almost a meter into the air, shocked out of her poor horsey skin. Deciding she had had enough of her useless rider Jannet was dumped as the horse bolted off into the wooded area. Now both the Anderson's lay in the cold wet mush, Thunder had rolled in the water, dripping from head to toe, and Ladybug had long since disappeared, most likely already found her way back hone.

Jannet looked hopefully at Shea who had his jaw set in a grim line. "Well you two," he motioned towards the muddied Andersons. "Have to clean up and get dried. Mia you're in charge, please take them back, Jannet you can ride double donkey behind your brother. Everything alright?" He looked around, not in the least bit bothered by recent events, calm and collected. "Bug has probably gone back to the stables, you guys just stay with Mia and whatever you do, don't go off the road! You'll get lost and I really don't want to cut the tour short to come running after you guys. You have been warned,  am I clear?" The authority in his voice made the three of them nod their heads in unison. "Great. See you guys later!" And with that he pushed his horse into a calm trot away from the dam and the soaking wet swamp monsters.

"Bye guys!" Both me and Nika shouted behind us as we followed Shea on the trail.

"I didn't know there was such a nice dam behind your house! Do your friends own this farm?" I asked him curiously.