The Great Depression

A/N Inspired by a movie I like to watch called Kit Kitredge. Aphmau is 15 and Garroth is almost turning 16.

Aphmau walked up the stairs to her attic, where she was staying. She sat down in her chair and stared at her typewriter before placing her head in her hands and groaning. There was no good news to tell her father, so why type? He was away in Scaleswind, looking for work, and she was in Phoenix Drop, trying her best to cope with all the boarders in the house.

Boarders were people who came and paid rent to live with you. Aphmau's home currently sheltered five. People took in boarders when they were in danger of loosing all their money.

And in 1934, everyone was in danger of loosing all their money thanks to the Great Depression.

A sound was heard behind her, and Aphmau turned around. She relaxed when she saw Garroth, her good friend and a boarder, sitting down in the corner.

"Oh. Hey!" She said, putting on a fake smile. Aphmau had gotten used to someone from school staying at her house, and she had even become good friends with him. "I didn't see you when I came in."

Garroth sighed. "I was hoping you wouldn't." He admitted.

Aphmau stood up and walked to him. "What's wrong?" She asked, sitting at his side.

"... Nothing." He said.

Aphmau saw his lies. "You shouldn't be so down... Didn't your father finally send you a letter?"

Garroth and his mother, Zianna, were staying at Aphmau's house because they needed somewhere to stay while Garroth's father, Garte, searched for work in O'Khasis, which was very far away. Earlier that morning, Garroth had received mail from Garte, along with a letter for Zianna. Inside her letter was $40, more then anyone in the entire household had held at once.

A/N It's 1934, $40 was like $150 back then.

Garroth stayed silent.

"Come on, Garroth, you can tell me." Aphmau said. "Why don't you tell me what your father wrote you—?"

"He's been gone for 6 months." Garroth interrupted her. "6... Months."

Aphmau looked at him confused.

"He told me he'd be back soon. He promised he'd write a letter a week." Garroth said. Aphmau's breath got caught in her lungs. That was the same promise her own father gave her.

"And he did. At first he sent them, and I would write them. Then I just kept getting less... And less... And less..." Garroth said, tears in his eyes. Aphmau pursed her lips and looked away. She didn't want to see her friend cry.

"Until one day they just stopped." Garroth said, frowning. 

"And then.... She took... Her ring off...." He said, on the verge of tears.

<|Memory|>

"Anyone else?" Asked one of the boarders, Dante. He held up a small bag for anyone who needed something of safekeeping to be held.

"Actually..." Said Zianna, reaching for her hand. She pulled something off her finger and frowned. "Take this." She said, tossing it in the bag.

Garroth, who was sitting on a chair next to Aphmau, stood up. "But mom, that's your wedding ring—"

"It's for safe keeping, Garroth." She assured him.

Garroth looked down, sitting back down.

<|Memory Over|>

Then the realization suddenly hit Aphmau. 

"You... You wrote the letter for your mother." She whispered.

"... She needs to have hope that he's gonna come back." He said quietly.

"But the money—?"

"He gave it to me before he left." Garroth explained,me effecting to his father. "Said it was for an emergency. Well this was an emergency." 

As Aphmau stared at Garroth, he wiped his eyes and looked up at Aphmau. "Sometimes, kids know what they're doing. It's this stupid depression. My dad's never coming back, and I know that."

Aphmau wrapped her arms around Garroth in a hug, which he returned.

"But what matters is my mom has faith, and she's happy."

A/N Sorry if it was bad... I really did try.

Time for the Disney Question. Today's question is... Your favorite Disney Prince.

Hmm... Probably Flynn. Because he gave up money and riches to be with Rapunzel, gave up his life to let Rapunzel live and be happy.

Like someone we know... Yeah, I'm still not over it. Is anyone else still not over it or am I just a crazy person who gets too emotionally attached to things?