#14: Disenchanted

^ {AMBIENCE INCLUDED} ^
(Don't press play yet)

This was one of those empty nights. I was alone, and Gerard was at the studio working since five p.m. It was three a.m. now. Yeah, it was typical for him to get home around this time, but I wished that he was here. Gerard felt bad for leaving me alone for so long, but we both knew that it was his job and he had to do what he had to do.

I should have been asleep by now, but I usually waited for Gerard to come home so I could make sure he's okay. Nothing scared me more than the idea of Gerard not coming home one night. There's been past experiences...

For a while I watched TV marathons and worked on some stuff for AP, but I then grew tried of it and stopping working because it was too quiet in the house. I guess sometimes quiet is violent.

I didn't despair, though. I knew from past experiences of being alone that sadness was the enemy. It wanted to take me away, and take all the life out of me. I wouldn't give the enemy what it wanted.

Growing even more bored and empty, I slept for another hour and a half. Even though I wasn't all that tired, My dreams were Gerard and Ray and Frank and Mikey playing shows for thousands of adoring fans. It was only a matter of time before their album would be done and ready to release. Soon the dreams would become even more real.

When I woke up, I immediately looked around the house. Gerard wasn't home yet. Be patient, he's just working real hard. That's all, I told myself. But it was four-thirty in the morning. I picked up my phone and called him.

There was no answer, leaving me worried again. Telling myself that he was probably working, I left him a voicemail.

"Hey Gerard. It's about four-thirty in the morning... You comin' home? I'm getting kinda worried. You're never this late... I'm assuming you're working pretty hard if you're still at the studio. Just please come home. I'm so bored and empty without you. I'm not gonna sleep until you get here. I love you. Call me back. Bye."

I curled up on the couch after that, hearing the drizzle of raindrops outside. All of the lights were off, but I refused to go back to sleep. I wouldn't want anything bad to happen while I was asleep. My eyes grew heavy, but I kept them open.

It was about twelve minutes later when I tried calling again. This time, there was an answer.

"Gerard?" I said.

{PRESS PLAY}

He didn't speak to me, he sang to me.

"Well I was there on the day
They sold the cause for the queen,
And when the lights all went out
We watched our lives on the screen.
I hate the ending myself,
But it started with an alright scene."

I just listened, joyful to hear his voice. The tune of the song was mellow and beautiful.

"It was the roar of the crowd
That gave me heartache to sing.
It was a lie when they smiled
And said, "you won't feel a thing"
And as we ran from the cops
We laughed so hard it would sting.

If I'm so wrong,
How can you listen all night long?
Now will it matter after I'm gone?
Because you never learn a goddamned thing.

You're just a sad song with nothing to say
About a life long wait for a hospital stay
And if you think that I'm wrong,
This never meant nothing to you.

I spent my high school career
Spit on and shoved to agree
So I could watch all my heroes
Sell a car on tv
Bring out the old guillotine
We'll show 'em what we all mean.

If I'm so wrong
How can you listen all night long?
Now will it matter long after I'm gone?
Because you never learn a goddamned thing

You're just a sad song with nothing to say
About a life long wait for a hospital stay
And if you think that I'm wrong,
This never meant nothing to ya

So go, go away, just go, run away.
But where did you run to? And where did you hide?
Go find another way, price you pay

You're just a sad song with nothing to say
About a life long wait for a hospital stay
And if you think that I'm wrong,
This never meant nothing to you, come on

You're just a sad song with nothing to say
About a life long wait for a hospital stay
And if you think that I'm wrong,
This never meant nothing to you

At all."

His voice faded out as he stopped singing. He had put his heart in soul into singing that song, and I loved it. This was his way of assuring me that everything was alright. I was smiling to the point of tears, no matter what the lyrics of the song meant. I was just glad that Gerard was okay.

"I'll be home," he said calmly, and hung up.

When he was back, his face showed exhaustion. He wore a black beanie over his messy black hair, and a dark jean jacket with two red and yellow pins on it.

"Hey," he said soothingly, walking over to me on the couch so that I wouldn't have to get up

"Hey," he said soothingly, walking over to me on the couch so that I wouldn't have to get up. I was exhausted just as exhausted as he was. He threw his arms around me tightly.

"Hey," I replied tiredly against his collarbone. "You're back."

Gerard nodded. "I'm back. It's all okay. I just spent most of that time recording the vocals to that song I sang you. I wanted to stay extra time. I should have told you."

"It's alright. I'm just glad you're back here," I told him. "You look like you need to sleep.

"Could say the same to you," he replied. "C'mon, we can sleep all day."

Gerard took my hand and I followed him. I was already in comfortable clothes, so I went right to bed with Gerard beside me.