#2: David Bowie

^ {INCLUDES AMBIENCE} ^

{PRESS PLAY}

Walking home from the drugstore was miserable this evening. Things were quiet today. Everyone stayed inside from the freezing weather, and the whole city just seemed lifeless.

January 10th was the day. I had gone to the drugstore to pick up some pills that Gerard and I both needed. Even though the drugstore was only a few miles away, everything seemed so slow.

I finally got inside the house and set the small shopping bag on the counter. Turning around, I saw Gerard sitting at the kitchen table. He looked up at me with a sad smile, and tears in his eyes.

"Gerard?" I asked slowly, moving towards him. "Gerard, what's wrong?"

He didn't say anything, he just wiped his eyes. I was kind of afraid of what he'd say. He was never very emotional around me, unless something really tragic happened.

"Can you tell me?" I asked calmly, sitting down at the table.

It took him another minute. He opened his mouth to speak, but stopped himself and moved his phone away from him. He put his face in his hands for a second and then finally spoke.

"David Bowie." Gerard sighed.

I looked him in the eyes, slowly trying to process what he was telling me. The first things that I felt were shock and disbelief. I knew what he meant.

David Bowie had died.

We all were aware that he had cancer for over a year now, but I was so ignorant of how fast time could go by. The realization hit me the hardest. He was gone now. He played a huge part in my life, along with Gerard as a singer and artist. We were both influenced by him. My hand slowly covered my mouth. I teared up as well.

"I know, I know." He sniffed. "It's still hitting me that he's actually gone. He did so many great things in his life."

I nodded and continued to look into Gerard's eyes. They were a darker brown color when he was upset. "I-I know everybody says this, but he isn't suffering anymore. It was going to happen sometime," I said at attempt to make him feel better.

Gerard stood up and turned away to wipe his eyes again. I stood too, saddened that there was nothing I could do to make this situation better. He put his arm around my waist, and then faced me so he could embrace me. He leaned his head down into my shoulder and didn't move.

"Death is a beautiful thing, remember?" I reminded him and placed a hand on the back of his neck, holding him close to me. "It makes you cherish all of the moments you live through when you're alive, right?"

"Exactly," Gerard said into my shoulder.

I leaned my head down to kiss the top of his head. "So that's what we need to do. Please don't let this create negativity, Gerard."

"I won't. I promise," he said shakily and took his head out of my shoulder. "Can we watch Labyrinth until we fall asleep?" He asked sweetly with pleading eyes.

Labyrinth was his favorite. We always watched it when he couldn't sleep, or when he was feeling anxious. I personally enjoyed the movie, but I most enjoyed getting to watch it with Gerard.

I nodded. "Definitely."

We laid in bed together and watched Labyrinth with David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King. We both cried a bit at the sight of him, but since we were together, it was all okay. We dried each other's tears, and smiled at each other. Gerard fell asleep first, with a secure arm draped around me.