"Thanks," Eren mumbled.

"Anytime. If you don't mind me asking, what happened anyway?" He wasn't asking because he was nosy, he was asking because he wanted to know if there was anything he could do to make Eren feel better. "Between you and Levi I mean."

"He broke up with me," Eren said quietly and took a sip from his cup.

"Why would he do that?"

"I don't know. I didn't give him the chance to finish what he was going to say. It was probably stupid crap anyway. I don't think it matters," he answered.

"You do realize you fucked up, right?" Marco said with a worried expression on his face. "It was probably something very important."

"Like I said, it doesn't matter anymore," Eren said as his eyebrows knit together in a stern line. "It would probably end the same way no matter what he said or what he didn't say."

"I don't think so, Eren. I know you're that kind of person who always has to get the last word, but I don't think it's going to work in this case."

Eren looked over at his friend with a confused look. The sound of a bell rung through the shop as a customer left, but they didn't notice at all. They were too deep into their conversation to notice anything else.

"Dude, it's Levi Ackerman. A big time musician who once claimed in an interview that he never wanted to fall in love, but he did. If he's going to break up with you, there must be some reason, right?"

"How do you know about that?" Eren asked and raised an eyebrow and he leaned in closer.

"Leaked videos and a lot of internet searching," he replied.

"Interesting," he said and lifted the cup to his mouth again. "You're not half bad, Marco."

They chattered until the rest of the customers disappeared and the room was filled with nothing but the sound of their urgent murmuring and whispers. Something about the moment made Eren feel free but sad all at once, but also relieved too. Eren's phone buzzed suddenly in the middle of their conversation. Eren swore under his breath.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he said quickly as he struggled to place it back in his pocket.

"I know it's Levi," Marco guessed with a sigh.

He took another glance at his phone before springing up abruptly. "Oh shit. He says he's coming to the shop right now. Gotta blast, Marco."

"Running away won't do you no good," he shouted from across the room as Eren was about to leave. "Whatever. Good luck trying to escape him."

He ran out into the pouring rain once more and ran as fast as he could. Eren ran like his life depended on it. He tried to place his hood back over his his head but the howling wind thought otherwise. It was like a thousand, puny and cold needles of ice were being stuck into his skin. His skin felt raw against the powerful weather, and he was shivering harder than ever. His shoes were soggy and loose as he ran and ran. Eren's breath was falling short. His lungs were going to collapse if he ran any harder or faster than this. His heart throbbed and was going to escape from inside his ribcage. His whole body was on fire despite the intense and dreadful weather. His hair was completely wet, and his clothing became so weighty from all the water it drank up.

Eren had no idea where he was going, but he did know he wanted to be very far from the coffee shop. He imaged it was like running away from an upcoming explosion. Only it wasn't a building that was going to blast to smithereens, it would be Levi. He would blow up and he would end up hurting Eren. He didn't want to get hurt anymore. Anything but that.