The Beta's Mate Ch.21

Start from the beginning

Mark helps me to remove my coat and I shiver from the late November air. “The house is warmer farther in.” Mark promised rubbing my arms to help warm me up. The Holloway pack house was relatively the same size as Red River’s pack house. The pack houses were mainly for the Alpha’s family, pack elders who have trouble moving around have been known to live in the pack house, as well as a few families who choose to stay here although those are very few.

                The pack house had a modernize look to it. The front foyer opened straight into the living area that had a black and white theme going on. The sofas were white with black pillows that matched the black carpet, the wall were also black and white. The only other colour in the room was the blood red vase with a white rose that was in the middle of the glass coffee table in front of the fire place.

                “Lana you made it.” Alpha Greg greeted as he came from the kitchen.

                “Hello Alpha,” I reply Mark had taken me over enough times now that the Alpha said I didn’t have to bow. Mark mother Luna Helen entered right behind her mate and welcomed me in the same manner except she added a hug to her greeting.

                When the meeting started Alpha Greg and Luna Helen led the way into the celebration hall followed by Mark and I. Behind us was the present Beta of Holloway and his mate and behind them Kyle with a girl I did not recognize.

                “Welcome to the meeting tonight members of Holloway.” Alpha Greg greeted politely. “The representatives from Red River Pack would like to apologize that they could not attend because they otherwise preoccupied with rogues. Which is why we have gathered here today. We do not yet know the reasons behind these rogue attacks, only that they are at random and coming close to our borders as well. We must be prepared for any kind of attack at any time. Patrols will double in size and borders will be patrolled twice as often. Any wolves of age will be required to take on shifts of this patrol until the situation has returned to normal.” He informed us but paused for a moment as a small chatter arose in the crowd.

                “Higher ranking wolves will be leading patrols of younger wolves. Ladies and gentlemen I assure you all will be fine if everyone cooperates. On a more uplifting note I am happy to announce that my son, Mark, your future Alpha has a girlfriend as many of you know. Lana Havard appears to have taken a liking to my…ahem…handful of a son.” The Alpha joked affectionately, Mark wasn’t too impressed, but the rest of the room laughed along with the Alpha, including myself.

                Seeing my smile Mark allows a grin himself pulling me closer to his side, we are down a step from the podium where Mark’s father stood, but we make our way up as the Alpha offers us the microphone. Mark went along as planned to explain to the crowd that although I wasn’t his mate he had taken it upon himself to protect me from Caleb and on doing so feel in love with me. It made my heart flutter the way he made it sound like a complete love story.

                There was social time after the meeting many people from the pack came up to Mark and I to congratulate us and wish us well. I guess I was better known in the pack then I thought because they all thought I was a good influence on Mark’s womanizer ways. I was glad Mark wasn’t like that anymore and that girls respected his decision to stop fooling around.

                It was nearing midnight when my parents finally pulled me from Mark’s arms. It was too hard, I was pretty much falling asleep where I was standing and Mark was busy talking business with some higher ranking members. When I got home my head hit the pillow and I was dead to the world.

                Friday came too fast, I was rushing around the house trying to do some last minute cleaning before Mark arrived for our date night I guess you could call it. The sitter was late to pick up Gavin so I gave him a bag of M&Ms and sent him to the living room to watch television while waiting for the babysitter. In a couple of hours he’d be running around crazy from a sugar high but he wouldn’t be my problem.