Chapter 35

“Hey man, thanks for coming so late.” Milan moved aside to let Adam into the house.

“Yeah, no problem.” Adam looked down at the ground briefly before looking back at Milan. “How is she?”

“She’s sleeping. Thanks again for letting her stay with you and Dougie. I don’t think she really wants to see or be around Tyler right now.”

“That’s understandable.” he moved his glance from his teammates to the top of the stairs “Is Britt upstairs?”

“No, she ran over to Bergy’s place to talk to Tyler.” Milan shook his head. “I don’t know why because she practically threatened to kick his ass earlier.”

“That’s Britt for you.” Adam laughed a little to keep the atmosphere somewhat light. “So should I –”

He nodded. “Yeah, just be quiet. She’s exhausted. She’s been out since she got here.”

Adam nodded and began to walk up the stairs before he stopped. “Does she have any clothes?”

“Damn,” Milan muttered under his breath. “No, don’t worry about it. I’ll tell Britt and see if she and some of the girls can get some stuff together.”

Adam nodded and continued to ascend the staircase. When he was finally standing outside of the guestroom, he held his breath before slowly turning the doorknob and opening the door. Light from the hallway filtered into the room as his eyes adjusted to the slight darkness. Adam could make out the outline of Hadley’s sleeping form. The sound of her even breathing was the only sound in the room.

Slowly approaching the bed, he quietly knelt down by the bed to wake her up before Milan’s words played through his head. “Yeah, just be quiet. She’s exhausted. She’s been out since she got here.”

Holding his breath, Adam slowly lifted Hadley into his arms. Her body melted into his, warmth radiating off her tiny body.

“She still asleep?” Milan questioned as Adam made it down the stairs.

“I’m going to get her back to the apartment.” He said in a voice barely above a whisper. “I’ll see you at morning skate.”

“Yeah, man. Be careful.” Milan gave Adam a slight clap on the shoulder before quietly closing the door behind him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The room was spinning. Hadley’s hand clumsily slammed into the wall as she slowly staggered up the stairs. As she passed people on the stairs, she couldn’t help wondering why they weren’t like her – nauseous and weak.

When she reached the top of the steps, a pair of arms wrapped around her waist causing her to jump. “There you are.”

Hadley relaxed when she heard Brent’s voice. “Hey,” she slurred.

“Hey,” he smirked before starting to kiss her neck.

“Brent,” Hadley weakly spoke his name as she felt her legs go weak. “I don’t –” she closed her eyes as a wave of nausea rippled through her body.

“Sh, baby, I’ll take care of you.” Brent slowly directed Hadley in the direction of one of the guest rooms. “I’m sure Kathryn won’t mind.”

Without warning, Brent pushed Hadley down onto the bed before slowly crawling on top of her. “Brent, I’m not r-ready to do t-this.” she stuttered.

“You are. You just don’t know it yet.”

Hadley swallowed back the lump in her throat as she lay paralyzed underneath Brent. Her muscles felt like jello as she fought to push him off of her. “Brent, stop!” she screamed before hysteria took over her.

“No, stop!” Hadley screamed as she woke up from her nightmare. A sheer film of sweat covered her skin causing her shirt to stick to her. She sat up gasping for air before the door to the room bursted open.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

Hadley’s head immediately turned to see Adam wearing nothing but sweatpants that hung loosely on his hips. “Adam?”

“I heard screaming, are you okay?” he asked looking at Hadley intently.

“Yeah, I –” she looked around the room and confirmed that she wasn’t in her own bed, which was something she was grateful for. “How did I get here?”

“Milan asked me to come pick you up. You know, Tyler’s been going crazy trying to find you.”

Hadley turned her phone off for a reason. She didn’t want to hear what he had to say. She didn’t want to hear his excuses or his empty apologies. “Oh,” she looked down as her fingers played with the edge of the comforter. “Thank you.”

He gave her a heart melting smile. “Anytime,” he and Hadley held eye contact for a few moments before he cleared his throat and said, “If you need anything, just let me know.”

Hadley settled back into the bed as Adam shut the door behind him. Resting a hand on her belly, Hadley closed her eyes as her body slowly drifted off to sleep again.