Chapter 3

The next morning Tyler woke up to the smell of his mom’s cooking. When he rolled out of bed and walked down stairs, sure enough, he saw his mom already slaving away in the kitchen. “Morning,” he said stretching his arms over his head.

“Morning sweetie,” Jackie smiled. “How’d you sleep?”

“Great,” Tyler looked around the kitchen and peered into the living room before noticing no one was in the house. “Where is everyone?”

“Candace and Cassidy are outside and Hadley, I believe, is still asleep.”

“Oh okay,” That was the only thing that came to Tyler’s mind. He watched his mom open and close the fridge to grab a few more ingredients for the food before asking, “Why is she here?”

“Uh,” Jackie popped another tray of food into the oven before looking at her son. “Family issues.”

He slowly nodded, knowing his mom wasn’t telling him everything. Tyler sat down at the kitchen table not knowing what else to do with himself. “Where’s Marshall?”

“I thought he slept in your room last night?” She said without looking at him.

Tyler sighed and walked in all the downstairs rooms before he went to check the upstairs. If he didn’t sleep in his room, he was bound to be in Cassidy’s room, but when Marshall wasn’t in any of the rooms, Tyler knew he was in the guestroom. “Son of a bitch.” He grumbled, collecting himself a little before attempting to slowly open the door. Lucky for him, the door’s hinges didn’t make a sound. He popped his head into the warm room to see that Hadley was still fast asleep. And sure enough, there was a lump of chocolate brown fur sleeping curled up next to her. “Marshall,” he quietly called. He saw the dog’s ears perk up a bit. Just as he was about to call him again, someone grabbed his shoulders. “Holy shit!” Tyler jumped.

Cassidy looked up at her older brother amused. “What are you doing?”

“I’m trying to get Marshall out of her room.”

She shook her head at her brother. “Yeah right,” she laughed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Tyler questioned.

Cassidy rolled her eyes. “Please, she’s the same age as you and she’s pretty. You’re creeping and it’s weird so stop.”

“I do not creep.” Tyler corrected his little sister. “And we’re not talking about this.”

She reached out and pulled the door to the guest room closed. “Then let her sleep.”

Tyler stood in front of the closed door looking down at his sister. “Why is she here? Doesn’t she have family to stay with?”

“It’s not my business to tell and it’s surely none of yours, if you want to know why she’s here, than you can ask her yourself.”