Chapter 33

After a long few days of nonstop worrying and studying, Hadley passed out on her and Tyler’s bed. It was around twelve in the morning when Tyler’s side of the mattress dipped slightly behind her. She slowly stirred in her sleep when she felt Tyler’s lips lightly press into the crook of her neck.

“Mm,” she mumbled incoherently before turning over to see Tyler smiling down at her. “What time is it?” she croaked, her voice laced with sleep.

“Just a little passed twelve.” Tyler brushed a few stray strands of her dark brown hair out of her face before dipping his head down and capturing her lips in a chaste kiss. “Go back to sleep, baby.”

“I missed you.” she whispered quietly as Tyler settled himself in the bed.

Tyler gently combed his fingers through her long hair as Hadley snuggled up to his chest. “I missed you too – so much.”

Hadley placed a soft kiss in the middle of his chest before resting her head on his chest again and drifting off to sleep.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The next morning, Hadley woke up before her alarm could even go off. The first day of her exams started in a few hours and she was ready to get them behind her. Carefully she slid out of bed so she wouldn’t wake Tyler and quietly made her way to the bathroom where she started a nice warm shower.

Hadley couldn’t help but let her mind wander back to the conversation her and Carrie had just four days earlier.

 “Hadley, you still haven’t talked to him?” Carrie shook her head as she picked her cup of coffee off the bar. Hadley decided last minute to meet up with Carrie after class because she hadn’t had time for herself or anyone else for the past few months.

“I honestly don’t know if it’s really important.”

Carrie scoffed. “And yet you always have something to say to me after class.”

“The timing is just off. Tyler and the boys are gearing up to go into the playoffs. Besides, I don’t want to be that insecure girlfriend. I don’t have to know about him and his past – uh, girlfriends.”

“You don’t have to or you don’t want to hear about his past flings?”

Hadley took a long pull of her tea before setting the cup back down on the table they were currently sitting at. “Fine, if you were in this situation with Dougie, what would you do?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. But not voicing your feelings isn’t doing you two any good.”

Hadley looked into Carrie’s blue eyes and immediately knew she was referring to her and the baby. “I’ll talk to him.”

“When?” Carrie presses.

“After he gets back from his road trip.”

Lathering the strawberry scented shampoo into her hair, Hadley dipped her head under the running water and let the white, foamy suds swirl at her feet. Biting her lip, she looked through the foggy glass of the shower and at the closed bathroom door. Despite her growing insecurities, Hadley knew that she was just being paranoid. It was something she had grown to be good at and that was the result of the first “serious” relationship she was in.

A chill ran down Hadley’s spine, causing her to shiver. After almost six months of being with Tyler, she knew he wasn’t like Brent because he certainly did not treat her the way Brent had. Just as Hadley’s thoughts began to run off with her, two arms slowly wrap around her middle.

“Morning,” Tyler mumbled into her wet hair as she placed her hands on top of his which rested on her stomach.

“Good morning,”

“So I was thinking we could go out after your exams today. It’s been a while since we’ve gone out.”

“Yeah, it has, hasn’t it?”

Tyler smiled and nodded. “I’ll make a reservation at your favorite restaurant and we’ll go tonight.”

“Sounds good.” Hadley leaned up on her tiptoes to kiss his lips before grabbing a towel and getting out of the shower to dry off and get dressed.

Walking into the walk-in closet, Hadley pulled out a comfortable pair of skinny jeans that she could miraculously still slip into and pulled a loose, flowy blouse over her head. Hadley was quickly approaching twenty weeks in her pregnancy and her baby bump was evidence of that. By some miracle though, she was still able to cover it up without anyone finding out – anyone but Candace, Cassidy, Jackie, Carrie, the WAGs, and the guys. Besides, she didn’t need another reason for girls to talk about her or her relationship with Tyler.

Hadley stood in the mirror pulling her long hair into a ponytail when her phone buzzed on the dresser.

From: Candace

Hey preggers! When are you coming home? We miss you!

She laughed and shook her head.

To: Candace

What about Tyler? And don’t worry. I’m sure I’ll be seeing everyone real soon.

Hadley slid her phone into her bag’s front pocket before walking out of her and Tyler’s bedroom and downstairs to the kitchen. When she didn’t see Tyler, she knew he was still in the shower. As she grabbed a yogurt from the fridge, Hadley sat down at the kitchen table to eat a quick breakfast before leaving for her first exam which started in an hour and a half.

As she scraped the bottom of the plastic cup a few minutes later, she was surprised that Tyler was still upstairs. It never takes him this long in the morning. She thought to herself as she tossed the empty yogurt cup into the trash can and tossed the spoon into the dishwater.

“Bye babe!” she called up the stairs to Tyler.

“Good luck on your exams today, baby!” he called back as Hadley picked up a pair of her Toms. Slipping them on, she grabbed her bag and keys. Just as she opened the door to the garage and pressed the button to open the garage door, she heard Tyler’s phone vibrate against the granite countertop.

Walking over to the counter, she saw the caller i.d was a number not listed in his phone. Picking up the phone, she raised it to her ear.

“Hey Ty, last night was –”

The phone slipped from Hadley’s grasp, clattering to the floor. Bile began to rise in the back of her throat as the female’s voice replayed through her mind like a broken record. Last night was…last night was…last night was...

She couldn’t hold it back anymore. Rushing over to the sink, Hadley braced both of her hands against the sides of the sink before emptying the contents of her stomach.

Grabbing a paper towel to wipe her mouth, Hadley thought back to the first day of classes. Back to the day she eavesdropped on those girls’ conversation. You know you’re not the only girl here to sleep with him, right?

Hadley ran the water of the sink for just a few moments and took a few deep breaths. He wouldn’t do this to me. She thought. He wouldn’t do this to his pregnant girlfriend – or would he?