Chapter 11

Tyler was in heaven. His arm was slung around Hadley’s shoulders as he talked to a few of his old classmates. “How’re you holding up?” Tyler whispered into her ear.

Hadley looked up at him. “I’m good.” She leaned into his body more because she could feel more eyes watching them which made her uncomfortable. “I just can’t believe you’re not as weirded out as I am.”

He chuckled and turned so that the front of her was pressed flush against his. Without warning he started pulling her away from the group he was currently standing in and pressed her back against a wall. “I’m not gonna lie. I kind of like being able to do this.”

Hadley blushed. “I’m sure you do.” She laughed and tried to act like she didn’t notice anyone watching them. Raising her hand, she cupped the side of Tyler’s neck to pull his face down to hers. “Can we leave now?”

Tyler saw Kathryn walk by moments earlier and he knew she saw them. “Sure thing,”

Hadley let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you,”

“Just one more thing,”

“What –”

Tyler gently cupped the side of her face with his hand and leaned down to kiss her. Her hand was still on the side of his neck which sent chills up and down his spine. He didn’t expect for her to react to the kiss as quickly as she did. So when Hadley caught his bottom lip between her teeth, it drove him absolutely insane. “Wow.”

Hadley leaned her forehead against his. “You have no idea.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tyler stood in the doorway of Hadley’s room. “When are you not studying?” He joked.

She looked up at him. A smile etched its way onto her lips. “When I’m sleeping.”

He stood leaning against the doorframe as he watched her sitting there looking back at him. “I have a question.”

“Yeah?” Hadley placed the book on her nightstand and crisscrossed her legs.

“Remember last night when I asked you to go to that party?” She nodded. “Why did you want me to promise not to let you out of my sight?” Hadley’s demeanor changed slightly. Her body grew tense and the expression on her face instantly made Tyler regret asking her. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.” He blurted.

“No!” She stopped him. “Tyler, I feel like I can trust you, but at the same time I don’t think I’m ready to let all my guards down. Not just yet.”

He nodded. “When you’re ready, will you tell me?”

She nodded. “Of course I will. You just have to be patient with me.” Something Brent wasn’t. She thought as Tyler continued to look at her. “Have you thought about Boston at all?” Hadley asked changing the subject.

“Yeah, I’m definitely going.”

“Oh,” Hadley sheepishly looked down at her legs as she picked at a loose thread on her comforter.

Tyler walked into her room and knelt down in front of her. “But not just yet.” He looked into her sparkling blue eyes and brought her lips to his in a kiss. When he opened his eyes to look at her he saw her biting her bottom lip.

She brushed a loose strand of hair out of her face. “You’re not at all what I expected you to be.” Hadley quietly confessed. She heard him chuckle which made her smile. “What are we doing?” She asked biting her bottom lip as her hand cupped the side of his neck.

Tyler reached up and grabbed her hand that was on his neck and held it with his. He gently brought it up to his lips and kissed it. “I don’t exactly know.” He confessed. “But I do know that I’m not pretending –”

She giggled and nodded. “I sort of figured that after you kissed me.”

“I knew it as soon as you kissed back.” He brushed her cheek with his thumb. “I think I owe you a better first date.”

She shook her head. “I was fine with the one we already had.”