Chapter 18

“God I’m sore.” Candace grumbled as she and Hadley walked into a small café that was ten minutes from Hadley’s house.

“My back is so stiff.” Hadley winced trying to stretch out her strained back muscles. “Thanks for your help, by the way.”

Candace just waved her hand at her. “No problem.”

The two girls sat at their table looking at their menus as they waited for their waitress to come back with their drinks. Hadley was reading her menu when she felt a pair of eyes on her. She looked up, meeting Candace’s eyes. “Yes?”

Candace just smiled at her and shook her head. “Nothing,”

“‘Nothing’ doesn’t mean nothing, so what’s up?”

“I talked to Tyler last night,” she said practically beaming.

“Aw, nothing like a little brother-sister bonding.” Hadley joked.

Candace playfully rolled her eyes. “He seems really happy. And honestly, I’ve never heard him talk about a girl like he talks about you.”

Hadley’s cheeks flushed light pink and her lips curled into a smile. “The feeling’s mutual.”

“So you’ll be going to Boston next week?” Candace asked as their waitress came back with their drinks.

“Yeah,” Hadley picked her straw up off the table and dropped it into her glass of water. “I’ll be there for his birthday.”

“So he told me.” She giggled. “So do you have anything planned?”

Hadley caught her little eye brow raise and practically choked on the water that she was in the process of swallowing. “Oh my God,” she gasped between coughs. “I’m not talking about this with you.” Hadley said in-between wheezes.

“Why? It’s not totally weird.”

“Oh believe me,” Hadley countered. “It’s beyond weird. It’s awkward.”

Candace rolled her eyes. “What’s the big deal? You’re acting like a –” Her eyes went wide. “You’re not a virgin, are you?”

“Do you really need to whisper?”

“Not the point! You’re a virgin!”

Hadley wished Candace stuck to whispering because now everyone in the café was staring at them. “Thanks so much, Candace. Now all of Brampton knows.”

Candace awkwardly laughed and sunk low in her seat. “Sorry,”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was a tough loss to the Rangers. Tyler sank back into his seat and waited as his teammates boarded the bus. “Hey,” Andrew Ferrence sat in the seat next to Tyler’s.

“What’s up?” Tyler yawned.

Andrew shrugged his shoulders. “Nothing much,” he looked up and saw everyone else already zoning out. “So Brad told me you found yourself a girl?”

“You look shocked.” He grumbled as he tried to shut his eyes and sleep.

“Damn,” Andrew sounded impressed. “What’s her name?”

“Hadley,”

He nodded. “Sounds like a nice girl.”

“She’s amazing.” Tyler was slowly drifting off. “Can we talk about this some other time?”

“Sure thing, buddy.” Andrew patted Tyler’s head and stood up. “My little boy is growing up.” He fake sniffled.

Tyler laughed and got comfortable in his seat. The bus slowly started to pull away from the curb and he opened his eyes to watch the city lights as they passed by. They were on their way back to Boston where they would be playing the Islanders in two days which also meant that he was just days closer to seeing Hadley.