Your First Paper Route

Hi guys!! It's been a while!! I'm so sorry, it's been a crazy month, but I promise to start posting on the book again!! Thanks!!

Jack

Today, you woke up early, putting on clothes to make you look like a Newsie, grabbed your hat and put your hair in a tight bun, making sure your bangs only showed. You turned to grab your shoes, but ran into someone's chest. You looked up and saw Jack smirking at you.

"Whatchya doing?" He asked, grabbing his own hat and putting it on. "Well, Davey isn't doing well, and I can't wash clothes today because they're closed, so I may as well sell papers", you said, moving around him to grab your shoes. You rolled up your sleeves and tied your shoes. Jack stared at you from across the room as he got himself ready. "Wh-what?" You asked blushing. "Nothing. Just thinking about how cute you look in that."

Your blush reddened and you turned away, opening the door and running down the stairs. All the other boys were downstairs by the time you got there. They all seemed to stare at you, wondering who you were. Jack came down a couple minutes later. "Who's the "New"-sie Jack?" Blink asked. Jack laughed. "Just (y/n)", he said and the other boys nodded. "We 'eard Davey ain't doin' well", Race said. You nodded and pushed your way out of the lodging house, wanting to get the day over with.

Davey

You came home late today. It was a rough world. People, luckily, didn't notice you were a girl, covering for Jack who was in Brooklyn for the day with Boots and Blink. You opened the door to Davey's house and walked in, closing it quietly behind you. You turned and walked to Davey's room, opening the door slowly. It swung in and hit the wall with a bump. You but your lip, but relaxed when your heard Davey still softly snoring. You sighed and closed the door behind you. You changed into a loose shirt and baggy shorts that were stained with paint. You went into the bed and bumped into Davey. He jolted awake and rubbed his eyes. "(Y/n)? What are you doing up so late?" He asked. You sat on the bed next to him. He hugged you. "Are you hurt? Did someone do something to you? Where were you all day?!" He asked. "I was a Newsie all day since Jack was in Brooklyn", you said.

"Why? You could've told me!! I was worried sick!!" He said, making your heart sink. He was worried? He let you out of the hug and you saw that his eyes were tear stained, dried tears along his cheeks. You kissed him, and he pulled you back into a hug. "Don't do that again without telling me, okay?" He asked.

"Okay Davey. I won't."

Spot

"I dunno (y/n). I don't want you ta be soaked by anyone, just 'cause youse a goil", Spot said, pacing back and forth as you were dressing into your boyish clothes. You snapped on your suspenders, looking at him. "Race has a fever of 101.3 and his voice is gone. No way he's not gonna get paid because of some stupid fever. I'm gonna make sure that I sell all day, non stop", you said. Spot but his lip and turned to you.

"I don't know what I'd do if I found you hurt or-" "Spot, please!! I need to have a little freedom, ever from patching boats back together. I need to do this", you said and stuck your hair in your hat as you tightened it on your head. He sighed. "Fine. But you ain't leavin' my side for nobody", he said and grabbed you by the waist, putting a strong, protective arm around you. You blushed and smiled. "Your embarrassing you know?" You said and giggled as he smirked back at you.

Race

You grabbed the papers off the counter and forked over the 60 cents. You bent your hat down as you walked out of the gates, running until you reached a busy area down town.

A few hours into selling, you were almost out, which made you happy. You heard a loud snarl and turned around. A horse was speeding down the street, right towards you. You froze, unable to move. Someone tackled you away from the horse just in time. You opened your eyes to see Race on top of you. He was looking into your (e/c) eyes. You felt heat surge to your cheeks.

"(Y/n)?" He asked. You nodded and his eyes widened. "W-what are you doing here?!" He asked as he helped you up. "I had to sell papers today. My job was closed up for today", you said. "You coulda told me!! I would've worked over time or somethin'!! I didn't see you wake up and nona da boys saw you either. I don't think I could live with myself if you got hurt. I've been lookin' for ya all day", he said.

You blushed, but a pang of guilt hit you hard in the gut. "A-all day?" You said quietly. He nodded and sadly looked down. "I-I'm sorry Race. I should've told you", you said. He smirked at you. You cocked an eyebrow. "Your gonna be sorry", he said and chuckled, picking you up and running towards the Newsies' Lodging house. "R-Race!! What t-the heck!!" You said as he kept walking.

The next day, you were sitting behind him, looking over his shoulder at the newspapers while distribution time. "Hey Race!! You made a headline!! Page 4", Jack yelled. Everyone turned to page 4 and Race read the headline out loud. "Small helpless boy is saved by Racetrack Higgins, from a giant, raging horse", Race said and laughed. "You saved a guy from a horse?!" Davey said. "No. I saved my goil friend", Race said. Davey and Jack exchanged a glance before asking the same question.

"What?"

Crutchie

"If you promise to stay close to me, I'll let you come and help", Crutchie said and gave you a worried look. "I'll be fine. But, I'll be next to you ok?" You answered, tightening your shoe lace. He sighed. "Ok. Let's go", he said.

~

As the boys sang and jumped over barrels on the way to the distribution area, Crutchie and you walked slowly behind.

Once everyone got their papers, they all scattered, yelling fake headlines, mainly about a giant whale in California. Crutchie walked up to people while you started doing your own thing, and you were getting good really fast.

By midday, you had sold all but one paper. You walked around, waving it, yelling random things. "Let me help you", He said and grabbed the paper from your hands, cupping his mouth with one hand and frantically waving the paper in the other. "PRESIDENT SHOT AT FOR THE TENTH TIME!! NO ONE SAFE ANYMO'!!" He yelled. A woman quickly paid Crutchie, walked away, reading the paper. He smirked at you and handed you the money. You blushed and put it in your pocket, kissing his cheek. "Thanks Crutchie", you said as he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. You giggled at his shyness as he grabbed your hand, leading you to a nearby restaurant.

Blink

You finally go home after a long day selling papers. The headlines were crazy, and people were demanding more than one copy. You and Blink had to buy more than usual, and you go back about ten times as much as what was required by payment.

You flopped down onto a bed in the Newsie's lodging house, tired and sleepy. Blink flopped next to you and you smiled. "That was a long day", he said. "Where's the rest of them?" You asked. Only a few boys were in the lodging house right now, which was unusually for them. "Still selling papers", he said, wrapping an arm around you. He smirked when he saw that you had passed out. He kissed you and threw a blanket over you. " 'night Four Eyes", he said and kissed your temple, walking off.