Little Do You Know

Chapter Seventeen ~ Idina

In our room getting ready, Maya, Riley, and I are all silent. I put on a dress with a white top and pink bottom skirt that ruffles. I wrap a brown belt around it and add a necklace and some bangles. I put on knee-high cream colored socks and my favorite pair of brown boots.

"Ready?" they ask. I nod. We walk out.

*"Woah gentlemen," Pappy Joe says admiring the three of us as we walk onto the porch under  the starlit sky, "look how lucky you are. You treat 'em right." he says to the boys.

"Thank you, Pappy Joe," Maya quietly thanks. Maya and I stand by the door, awaiting Riley's game plan for this situation. Riley turns to the great big sky.

"I see why you two get homesick for Texas sometimes Lucas and Idina. I never knew that the sky had this many stars."

"Yeah well, that's not all of it is like this, this is all country. In Houston, there were some stars, but not as many as there are here." I say to Riley.

"You know what else?" She asks walking swiftly over to Lucas, "I don't get nervous when I'm with you anymore! We're doing the right thing." talking directly to Lucas, wrapping her arm around him in a sisterly fashion.

"Ah, remember when we couldn't even say hi to each other? We'd go, hi," she mocks them, "howdy, hi. Remember? Now watch this say hi to me."

"Hi,"

"Hi, Lucas! What up has bro? What's up with you man? You good? You cool?" She does some awkward hand motions.

"Hi." Lucas says again not knowing what to do, his eyes seem scared of this new "sisterly" Riley.

"Still got some catching up to do." Riley mocks.

"Riley, I don't even know what's going on right now-"

"What's going on is that we're gonna be the best of friends and care about what each of us has to say for the rest of our lives."

"Yeah I sorta thought we had that. What does 'brother and sister' mean?"

"It means you know, POOM!" She playfully punches him.

"Hey!" he shouts.

"PING!" she punches him again.

"Riley!" he says annoyed.

"Ha, you said that just like a brother would." She points at him.

"Well, can I hit you back?"

"No!"

"Only you get to hit me?"

"Mmm-hmm, we're just like how you were with Maya and Idina." she pauses then comes close to his face like Maya would do, "What's the weather like up there cowboy?" she asks, using a nickname I'd always call him. He is frozen with confusion.

"Ha-hee!" she does Maya's "Ha-hur" incorrectly. Maya chuckles then move from  the doorway where I still stand to sit in between Farkle and Zay on the swinging porch set.

"Pfft. You don't even do it right," I say still leaning against the doorway.

"Oh! Idina, I thought you weren't talking to Lucas." Riley says with fake shock.

"I'm not talking to him I'm talking to you."

"Idina, are you seriously not gonna speak to me?" Lucas asks coming towards me. I move out of the doorway and a few feet closer to him.

"You could have gotten hurt on that stupid bull!" I rant, "What do you think you getting hurt would have done to the people who-" I pause.

"Care about you?" Zay says standing up.