Modern Wild West

Chapter Twenty-Three ~ Idina

"No,"

"Oh just stop talking. It'll make things easier. Just shut up," he says. I huff and become silent, finally succumbing to my reality.

All it took was a little rope to subdue me. I struggled against him some, but it was no use. It's like I became my old self, the mute little girl who couldn't stand up for herself. My hands are tied to the safety handle on the door. We're on the highway right now, I assume heading towards the airport, back to Houston, he said. Normally I'm pretty good in a crisis, so why am I freezing up now?

"We all could have been so happy together, you, me, and your mother, but I guess I'll just have to settle like always. Now stay quiet back there. We'll be to the airport in no time. Then it's home sweet home for you and me baby," my kidnapper tells me. I look out at the basically abandoned highway, I guess there's no one to scream for help too. I'm just here, lost and abandoned. Then I hear it.

Neigh! Then thumping against the ground. I can feel it from under my seat, and hear hoofs beating against the rubble that makes up the deserted highway. I tilt my head back as far as it will go to see riding towards me people I had lost all hope of ever seeing again.

Sharing a black horse that rides behind two brown ones I see Riley and Maya. In front of them. Lucas rides on a horse which is mostly brown, except for a patch of white that splits its face. Farkle rides next to him on a completely brown horse. 

"They found me," I whisper, a smile creeping onto my lips. I turn back to see my father looking in the rearview mirror.

"What the heck? Are those horses?" he asks. I confidently grinning at him.

"Brace yourself!" I see Farkle shout. I cover my face before glass shatters across the back seat. I look down to see a hammer covered in shards of glass now resting on the floor. I look up at them and smile, as Farkle pushes through the window, Lucas holding his horse's reigns.

"What are you doing? Get outta here!" my father shouts. The top half of Farkle is through the window.

"Not without Idina!" he shouts back at him, he smiles at me as he uses a knife to untie my hands, "We found it."

"You got my message?"

"Clever girl you are, I knew I liked you for a reason," he says, as I turn pink; he gives me his hand, "Do you trust me?" I grab his hand.

"Always," he pulls me out of the window and hoists me onto the back of Lucas's horse. Lucas pulls him out of the car, and he jumps back onto his horse's back.

"We got her!" Farkle shouts to Maya and Riley, who begin racing up next to us.

"Idina!" my father shouts from the car, still revving the engine. I wrap my arms around Lucas, worried my father might try to get me again. Before I can say anything he crashes off the edge. I turn away and hug Lucas tighter. All three horses stop.

"He'll be okay Idina," Lucas says to me. The car suddenly catches on fire, and we hear an explosion.

"I hope he isn't," I reply then look at him, "let's get outta here." He obliges, leading the pack of horses back towards the cabin that awaits our safe return.