May I Cut In?

Chapter Twelve ~ Idina

Once my eyes readjust to the shining flashing lights I see my classmates standing on the roof, and a dance floor in the middle. There's a banner with my name beautifully decorated across it.

"Y'all did all of this for me?" I ask with happy tears in my eyes.

"Of course, you're one of our best friends," Riley says as she and Maya come on either side of me, "We'd do anything for you, and we know you'd do the same for us." Lucas goes on the side of Maya, while Farkle goes on the side of Riley. They wrap around me in a giant bear hug. Once released I'm smiling at my best friends in the whole world.

"Maya made the banner," Lucas adds, "it looks great Maya."

"Thanks, Huckleberry," she replies. Just then Josh claps his hands.

"Let's get this party started!" He yells. Everyone hoots as he starts up the music. He smiles and walks over to me, and gives me a giant hug. His arms playfully wrap around my face. He's like the older brother I never had.

"Happy birthday Idina," he says.

"Thanks, Josh," I reply then look at Maya who's looking at Josh then whisper to Josh, "You know what you could give me as a birthday present."

"What?" he asks in a hushed voice.

"Ask Maya to dance," I say, pushing him towards her. He smiles at me then struts over to her, she's sitting on a bench next to Riley.

"May I have this dance?" he asks holding out his hand to her. She smiles and takes it, as he spins her and they hit the dance floor. I smile and walk over to sit where Maya just was next to Riley.

"Idina, may I have the first dance?" Farkle asks me. I turn to him and smile.

"Of course Farkle," I reply, standing as he takes my hand in his, I turn back to Riley who gives me a thumbs up as Farkle leads me to the middle of the dance floor. I see Lucas start dancing with Riley. The song is a pop song, but Farkle still wraps his hands around my waist. I nervously adjust my hat, then place my hands around his neck, hooking them together around the back of his head.

"Is this alright?" He asks.

"Of course it is, why wouldn't it be?" I ask.

"Because I don't know if we're okay," he says, "I feel like you've been avoiding me ever since..."

"The music room?" I guess, "I liked it Farkle, and..."

"And I hope we can make it further next time," He interjects. I smile.

"Who said there would be a next time," I taunt moving my face closer to his; he smiles.

"Oh, you know there will be," He says coming closer. Our eyes meeting again. I don't know what to say as we sway back and forth in the middle of the dance floor. The song ends and we all begin jumping to the next song.

"May I cut in?" Lucas asks.

"Sure thing Lucas," Farkle says, seeming a little uneasy, but still stepping back. He smiles at me then hops past me to Riley. They move closer, as do Josh and Maya, as we all dance/jump.

"So, got any plans for Thanksgiving break?" he asks.

"No, unless you count homework and hanging out with you guys as a plan," I joke. He smiles.

"Too bad we won't be here,"

"What?" I ask, feeling a bit hurt, "Why didn't anyone tell me you guys were going somewhere, all together. Without me. And where are y'all going anyways?"

"To Austin. Riley and Maya signed me up to ride the bull. I'm gonna redeem myself from the sheep incident. And, we aren't going without you. We want you to come." He says. I remember him telling me about the sheep incident when we were younger. He never got over the embarrassment; he felt that he had brought shame to his family. But I don't see how getting himself killed or injured riding a dangerous bull will make up for that!

"Lucas, you know riding a bull is dangerous it could hurt you... Wait, did you just ask me to come to Austin?" I ask, still worried for his safety.

"Yes."

"Well, I'll have to ask my mom, but I'm sure she'll be cool with it. I'd love to," I say, but then look dead serious, "But don't go getting yourself killed Cowboy." He chuckles at my joke.

As the night goes on, we dance and have a blast. Sometime later in the evening Riley, Maya, and Lucas all join by the door. Farkle brought me to the side and asked me to sit on the bench, before leaving. He hasn't come back in a few minutes.

"Attention everyone," Riley starts.

"We have a special treat for the birthday girl," Maya adds.

"We all chipped in to get her something she's been wanting since she was little," Lucas adds.

"But never got the chance to have," Riley continues.

"So we decided it was about time she got one," Maya says.

"Idina, this is for you," Lucas ends. Just then Riley pulls open the door, as Farkle walks through it with an object in his hands. I squint to see he is holding a beagle puppy! I've always wanted one! He brings the dog over to me, and gently places it in my hands.

"Idina, meet Ollie, your dog," Farkle says, "I've been taking care of him the past week. We wanted to make sure this was a birthday you'd never forget. One where you got everything you could possibly imagine. I hope you like him."

"Like him? I love him!" I shout excitedly. I pull Farkle in for a hug, still tightly holding on to the pup. He has big brown eyes and has patches of brown, black, and white. His little ears droop on either side of his head. He sneezes and I feel like I'm dying from his cuteness. I hold him close to my face and his wet nose rubs against mine.

"Arf!" he barks, then lightly licks my nose. I giggle.

"Hi Ollie," I say to the little pup, "I will love you always. I'll never let you go, I'll be right here for you." I say. My friends gather around me, and Lucas hands me a collar that says Ollie's name on it, and my contact information in case he gets lost.

"How did you guys pull this off?" I ask impressed.

"Farkle was the one who was the backbone of all of this," Maya says patting Farkle on the back, "Good boy!" she jokes.

"He got the dog and took care of him, we just helped pay for it and pick him out from the pound," Riley adds.

"But he's from all of us. Idina, we just wanna see you happy. I'd do it all again in an instant just to see your face like this again," Farkle says. Everyone cheers. Then they go back to dancing, as we huddle around the newest little addition to our group.