Ultimatums

Chapter Sixteen ~ Idina

"Idina-" Riley starts, as I cut her off.

*"Riley, are you actually for this? After seeing that?" I ask.

"Because I want him to succeed. I want him to make his grandfather proud," She bluntly replies.

"I think I agree with Idina, this is too dangerous Lucas," Maya chimes in, then turns to Pappy Joe, "What? Will you not be proud of him if he doesn't do this?"

"Will you still consider him an embarrassment and a disgrace if he doesn't do this? Will you not love him as much if he doesn't do this?" I add in agreement with Maya. We stand side by side awaiting his response.

"I think you little ladies have a fine grasp of the general situation here, so yeah," he simply replies looking at Lucas then to us, "In my opinion, it's about facing life, which runs harder than any bull. You gotta face your fears. You ride them, or they ride you."

"Lucas, I can't watch this, I'm sorry," Maya says, "I'll be back at the house. I won't watch this happen. Good luck." She says before giving Lucas a hug.

"Maya, I understand not being able to watch it, but I appreciate you support," Lucas says before Maya smiles and walks out towards the house, he turns to me, "Idina?" he waits for my response as well.

"Yeah, well I'm not Maya. I know this; I use to go to the rodeo as a kid, and I'd see people get pretty banged up, and I'd see some pretty tough bulls, but THAT  is the worst I've ever seen someone get beaten up in my life." So this is it, right here, right now," He looks down, remaining silent.

I pause, "I will never speak to you again." Tears in my eyes I force myself to push past Lucas and escape the tent. I walk around the tent, seeing Lucas look after me, as Pappy Joe walks with Farkle and Zay towards the riding area, and Riley comforting Lucas. I hide behind a tree behind the tent, listening to their conversation out of sight.

"Why would she do this? How could she?" Lucas asks Riley. I don't know if he's talking about me or Maya.

"Maya or Idina?" she replies with a question

"Idina, Maya is supportive from afar; what counts is that she supports me."

"Well, I don't know, but I'm about to find out-"

"Riley wait. I'd kinda like you to watch." she pauses for a moment.

"Then I will. This day is about you, not them. And I bring both of them alongside me." I see them start walking over to the riding area. I'm almost crying but haven't started yet. I watch them and see Farkle's eyes catch mine. He sees me with wide eyes. I give him a begging look, and he sadly nods. I give him a sad smile, then walk off. I walk over to some tables set up little ways down and sit as the commentation of the ride begins. A TV projects the riding ring, but I can't bare to look at it.

"And now the main event! Let's welcome Lucas Friar into the riding ring. " the announcer begins, "And Lucas Friar right there climbing up onto Tombstone. Let's see how ole Tombstone feels bout that. Here we go folks, time for the moment of truth." The fans cheer him on, as the buzzer rings. I can't help but look at the display.

"And the gate opens!" The announcer conveys. I see Lucas hold on for a few seconds, before being tossed from the bull's back. My heart drops as my stomach sinks. I fling my seat back and stand in worriment, having to bite my lip to stop from screaming. Lucas isn't getting up. Riley runs into the ring, and shakes Lucas, flipping him over. She smiles after she turns him, and I see his lips moving. Thank god, he's okay. He's alright. Farkle and Zay have entered the ring and help him up. I pull my eyes away from the TV for a moment to see Maya on the porch, watching a small TV set up out there. She was scared for him too. I can tell from here that my best friend was almost crying too. She looks discouraged but relieved.