I Can See The Warning

Chapter Twenty-Two ~ Riley

Farkle looks at his watch worriedly. It's been some time since he came back. He huffs. Maya and I are all packed and ready to go for tomorrow. Idina's things lay untouched. We sit in the living room, just waiting for her to come back. Lucas and Farkle both seem tense. Something happened in the woods. Lucas already told us they kissed. Farkle has been almost silent since he came back, only wearing a goofy smile for some time before worry took over when Idina never came back. Maya and I look at each other. I've had enough.

"Okay, time's up. Let's go find her. Peaches you coming?" I ask Maya standing.

"Always," she replies standing and linking arms with me, "Boys?" Farkle looks up from his watch.

"I should have walked her back here. Stupid!" Farkle shouts at himself, "Of course I'm coming. It's my fault." He stands up.

"It's no one's fault buddy, maybe she just got lost," Lucas says standing as well, "We're all in this together."

"What about Zay?" I ask, remembering he's still out with Vanessa.

"God Riley, just let the boy have a little fun. We can handle this." Maya says. I nod. 

"Your right," I say, pulling on my brown jacket, as Maya wraps herself in her plaid one. She pulls her blonde hair out of her jacket and sighs.

"Now let's go." We head back to town. Farkle looks at his watch again.

"Okay, 9:50 pm. Let's get started, so before she left at the lake she said she was gonna go into town for a little while."

"Maya and I will check these stores," I say gesturing to my right where a line of stores stand, "and you guys check the others. Clear?"

"Crystal," Lucas says before he and Farkle run off in the opposite direction of us.

"Peaches?" I ask Maya, arms still linked, "Ready?"

"As I'll ever be," she smiles at me, "let's go find Pookie." We hop off towards the nearest store. Buck's Shop. The door rings as we enter.  An old man reads a newspaper.

"Welcome to Buck's Shop. Half off postcards," he announces, not even looking up from his newspaper. Music barely plays on the radio as we move to examine the place. Maya moves to one side of the shop while I go to the other. As I start I feel myself step on something, bead-like. I bend down and pick up the object. My eyes widen.

"Maya!" I shout, and she comes running. Her eyes have the same reaction as mine did when she sees what I hold.

"Idina's bracelet," she says.

"She would never take it off," I say, "Not intentionally."

"Unless it's a sign."

"She's trying to tell us something."

"Riley?"

"Peaches?"

"Something is very, very wrong." Maya drags me out of the store, as I still hold onto the bracelet I hold it close, it's still warm.

"We have to find the boys," I alert as Maya's texting away. I hear the whoosh of her message, showing that she's sent something.

"Done. They should be here in a few," she says swiping her phone off. We sit on the curb to wait for the boys. A terrible thought creeps into my mind. I stare at Maya.

"I know it's a long shot, but what if she did something?"

"To herself?" Maya asks with confusion.

"She did say she was battling some demons," I say as I hug my knees closer to my chest, still holding Idina's bracelet in my hand, "what if one of those demons took over? What if they won? What if she's not the same Idina we know and love when we find her? What if our best friend isn't our best friend anymore?"

"It's okay. Our girl is stronger than any demon," I put my head on her shoulder. Finally, the boys approach us. We both stand. My eyes are pinkish from small tears. Maya takes the bracelet from me and turns away from the boys as she holds out the bracelet. Farkle takes the bracelet, and sees the name in it.

"Maya, Riley, Idina," he reads as he almost chokes reading the last word.

"She would never take it off-" Maya starts.

"Unless it was necessary," I say standing, "Unless it was a cry for help. A plea."

"A warning." Farkle says, still staring at the bracelet.

"Of something terrible," Lucas ends, we all stare at each other, "Where?" he angrily asks. We point to the shop. He helps Maya up, then we head back to the shop. As we re-enter the shop, I pull up a picture of myself, Idina, and Maya on my phone. It's my background, my best friends in the world.

"Welcome- oh it's just you two again," he goes back to his newspaper again as we approach the front desk.

"Good evening sir," I say, he looks up at me.

"Whadda you want girlies?" he asks, not seeming interested in us. Maya pushes my phone in his face.

"Have you seen this girl?" she asks harshly.

"Cool your jets lady!" he says then stares at the picture, "the one with glasses? Yeah, she was in here, 'bout a half hour ago."

"Did you see where she went?" Farkle asks.

"Nope, sorry kiddos, but she did leave with some guy." Lucas slams his fists on the wood desk. The man seems more interested now that the cowboy's involved.

"Who was he?"

"Woah, breath Huckleberry," I say putting my hand on his shoulder, trying to calm him.

"How should I know? But, she did call him-"

"What call him what?" I shout at him, unable to contain my curiosity.

"Dad," we all exchange looks of fear.

"Thank you, sir," I say as I pull Maya towards the door as the boys follow us. At this point, I'm crying. As we go outside I can't think of anything better to do but sitting down on the ground. I look up at Lucas.

"W-What are we gonna do?" I quiver. He stares off into space for a moment before turning himself and Farkle away from Maya and I. They whisper, and I unsuccessfully struggle to hear what they're plotting. Farkle smiles, then they both turn around. Maya helps me up, as we stand waiting for their grand idea. Lucas finally breaks the silence.

"You two know how to ride a horse?"