Country Bound

Chapter Fifteen ~ Idina

November

"Idina you know the no hats in class rule." Mr. Matthews says pointing to my black beanie.

"Sorry Matthews forgot." I reply taking it off my head and shoving it into one of the big pockets in my grey shawl.

"Alright. May we begin class?" Mr. Matthews asks; the chalk scraps against the board then he points to it, "The Railroad."

"I don't get it," Farkle simply replies from his seat.

"What do you mean you don't get it Farkle?"

"How does this relate to what's going on in our lives, Hambone?"

"Hambone?" I ask as Farkle turns at the sound of my voice.

"You're just gonna let him call you 'Hambone' Matthews?" Maya provokes.

"The railroad allowed us to travel great distances. The railroad allowed us to see how other people live. When you see how other people live, it changes you. And I like 'Hambone.' It's cool," Matthews ends.

"Alright Hambone, if thinking that's cool helps you sleep at night then you go right ahead," I taunt. Mr. Matthews sarcastically smiles at me, then returns to his lecture. But before he can, an older man wearing boots lined with spurs lurks in the doorway.

"This country was built on railroads. I, myself just arrived on the noon train from Austin. Guess why I'm here?" The man asks. The room is silent.

"Anybody? Anything?" Matthews asks.

"Well, all mighty, I'm here 'cause I could not be prouder of my grandboy, Lucas."

"Pappy Joe. That's your Pappy Joe!!! That's Pappy Joe!!! YES, MORE STUFF!" Maya screams in Lucas's face.

"That right there's the first Friar that ever had the courage to ride the most ferocious creature in all of the Creation."

"Are we talking about Judy the sheep, Pappy Joe?" Riley obviously asks.

"Um, I think he's talking about the deadly bull Riles," I answer

"Haha! Judy the sheep! Remember when you fell off Judy the sheep for about 2 seconds, boy? Remember that? And we all said it was okay 'cause you were only 5 years old? So we said it was okay, but it wasn't okay because you were a disgrace to the community and you dragged your family name through the mud-hole right up to this day. You put us in the mud-hole, remember boy?!" I look at Lucas next to me who's pinker now that his Pappy is embarrassing him. He stiffens up and replies.

"Yes. There is one moment in every man's life that shapes who he is forever. My moment was Judy the sheep." I rub his shoulder, letting him know I'm by his side.

"Well, you know what, Lucas Friar? Forgiven. You get on that bull for more than 3 seconds, and you will be the master of Tombstone the bull. And I'll tell you I love you. And that's something I never said to another human."

"So this is really Pappy Joe? He looks different," I say.

"Yeah, people are different in person than on a monitor," Lucas replies. Pappy Joe moves in front of the class and parks himself in front of my rows of desks.

"Well, I'll be! Lucas is this that girl from the Houston rodeo that one time that you would talk to. Why you never mentioned she moved here! What's your name, missie?" Pappy Joe asks me, gesturing at me.

"Idina Jennings sir," I reply, "Pleasure to meet you."

"Can we talk about this?" Matthews asks raising his hand in response to Pappy.

"Time for talking's over. I got a permission slip for Friar. Babineaux, I got one for you too," he hands two pieces of paper to Mr. Matthews, and grabs another one before scribble something down, and turning that one into our teacher as well, "And looks like one just turned up for Jennings too. Come on y'all! Let's go ride."

"YEEHAW!" Zay stands from his seat behind Lucas and screams into the air as we all stare at him; everyone's silent except for my slight giggling, "That slipped out." I gather my things and follow Zay out.

"Wait up cowboy!" I shout after him.

"YOU did this!!!" I hear Lucas shout at Maya and Riley, the ones responsible before Pappy Joe drags him into the hall. I can still hear Matthews lesson through the slightly open door.

"Since I won't be seeing you guys for some time, I'm giving you a bonus lesson: Thankfulness," Mr. Matthews asks the class, "Thanksgiving Break starts this weekend, and I leave you with one thought: What are you thankful for?"

"We're coming with you!" Maya and Riley shout after us as they drag Farkle out the classroom.

And so, after packing up our things from New York, and riding the train for hours, we finally reach the station. Pappy Joe leads us to the house we'll be staying at over the weekend. It's a nice little cabin made out of wood, with four bedrooms.

"Alrighty then, girls, your bedroom is the first one on the right, boys in the last one on the left. My room is right across from the boys." Pappy Joe explains giving us a tour of the place. As we settle in I look at my friends almost fast asleep. I'm scared of what tomorrow will bring. I decide to grab a glass of milk to help me sleep.

Making my way to the kitchen, I bump into a figure.

"Ow," it replies, turning out to be Farkle, "Hey Idina, what are you doing up?"

"Couldn't sleep. Getting some milk to calm my nerves. Thought it might help," I reply as we walk into the kitchen; he grabs the milk and pours two glasses, and as we drink I confess, "Farkle, I'm worried. I've been to some rodeos but I don't know if Lucas is ready for this."

"It'll be okay Idina."

"Plus, I know it's stupid, but I still keep thinking about my dad. Texas brings back bad memories." Farkle then does something unexpected. He hugs me.

"How can you be sure of that? That Lucas will be safe..." 

"Because if a scrawny guy like me can keep you safe, then an athletic boy like Lucas can ride a bull," I smile.

"Thanks. That helped me more than you know," he smiles at me, "well big day tomorrow. Goodnight Farkle." I go back to my room and crawl back into bed for some much-needed shut-eye.

The next morning I help Riley and Maya go out and buy something to be dressed a little more cowgirl-ish and less city girl-ish. Once I'm done I get ready as well.

Finally, it's time. We all wait in the tent for the rodeo competitors and the people they brought with them. So far, I've seen one guy get injured on a smaller bull then Tombstone, which now has me terrified for Lucas. The announcer calls Lucas's name. Everyone in the tent cheers.

"It's time. It's why your here boy," Pappy Joe says slapping Lucas's back. Lucas smiles with nervousness and looks at us, grabbing his helmet from the table. I can't help it as I see him start to leave.

"Lucas look at me!" I shout. And, knowing that these may be the last words I say to one of my best friends as he looks at me, helmet in hands, ready to ride, I give him an ultimatum "If you do this... I will never speak to you again."

*some lines in chapter direct lines, or variations of lines from GMW*