Acquaintances

Chapter Four ~ Idina

The two girls run up to Lucas looking very happy, but then frown when they see me. There's a blonde chick dressed kind of rockish style while the brunette is almost the total opposite. I recognize the brunette! It's the same girl who smiles at me every night before bed! She must recognize me too because she flashes one of her familiar smiles at me.

"Lucas, who is this?" the brunette asks. I lift my head and he turns to the girls.

"Riley, Maya, this is Idina. Idina, meet Riley and Maya. They're two of my best friends." the blonde nods at me.

"Wait, Idina Jennings?" the brunette, Riley, asks as she comes on the other side of me and sits down.

"Yeah," I say. She claps her hands together in excitement.

"Oh Goody!" She shouts, "I've been assigned to be your welcomer! So, welcome to John Quincy Adams!" she shouts jumping up and doing jazz hands. She turns to Maya, glares at her, and then Maya rolls her eyes and does some very unenthusiastic jazz hands. She and Maya end their jazz hands, then Riley grabs mine. I'm so startled I drop my old entry. Lucas grabs it as Riley drags me off to the girls restroom. I see him look down, then seem somewhat surprised and smile, before the white-gray bathroom door closes behind me. There's a little open area next to the sinks, and Riley and Maya plop down. Riley gestures for me to sit, as the move apart. I squat down between the two girls.

"So, your the girl I've been smiling at every night the past week?" I ask. She flashes me one of her big goofy smiles.

"This one's got the biggest, goofiest smile you'll ever see." Maya jokes. I chuckle.

"How do you know Lucas?" Riley asks. She seems sort of tense.

"Well, we met when we were younger at my local rodeo. I'm from Houston, Texas. I just moved here with my mom a few weeks ago... for my mom's work," I partially lie.

"What about your dad?" Riley blurts out, and after realizing what she has said blushes with embarrassment.

"Riley!" Maya looks angrily at her.

"It's okay. My dad's dead." I reply. Another lie, but I don't know why.

"I get you. My dad left when I was younger. Now he's got some new family now," she says, but then smiles, "And my mom's dating this great guy. He's actually Riley's dad's best friend."

"Isn't your dad our history teacher?" I ask Riley. She nods.

"Yeah he is," she says, "You know, I wondered who you were when I first saw you. I didn't wanna scare you away or I would've gone to your window on the fire escape. Maybe you saw Maya come through this morning? She always picks me up, first thing. 7 am sharp. You should join us. We take the subway every morning."

"I didn't see her, I was probably already on my way to school. I'd like that," I say. She smiles. We walk out of the restroom, our arms linked together. Lucas has already left the bench, and I don't see where he is. I'll find him again eventually. I walk over to my locker to get my bag and books I need for first period, history.

"Hey, can I see your schedule?" Riley asks. I hand it to her, and she and Maya hover over it, then smile with delight, "We have all the same classes together!" She shouts.

"Same as Lucas and Farkle too," Maya adds, "We need to get her a ring, for ring power." Maya says to Riley.

"What's ring power?" I ask shutting my locker. They hold out their hands to show matching rings.

"Whenever we need or want each other to do anything, we just say," Riley starts, then they shout in unison, "RING POWER", and Maya continues Riley's thought, "and we have to do anything for each other. Isn't ring power without it." She finishes. They already have their backpacks.

"Well off to history we go!" I say. I seem more open and happier than usual. I can tell I like these girls, better keep them around, they make good friends.

"Oh! And you will love Farkle! Have you met him yet?" Riley asks me as we walk into history.

"Nope, you, Maya and Lucas only so far," I reply to her, and turn to see a cute boy with shades of light and dark brown hair and tiny freckles standing before me. He's wearing a black and gray outfit, and makes my heart skip a beat when our brown eyes meet.

"Hi, I'm Farkle. Pleasure to meet you."