Listening To My Heart

Chapter Twenty-Four ~ Idina

December

It was a nice funeral I've been told. Per usual everyone wore black I would assume, I wouldn't know, I wasn't there, and I didn't want to be. It's been two weeks since my kidnapping and father's death, and his funeral was an opportunity I gladly passed on.

As I walk down the stairs to Topanga's I suddenly stop mid-step and do something I've had a hard time doing since Texas: I exhale. It's been so hard to breath it's as if I've been caught up in a winter storm. I see my breath fade away like fog, then continue to my awaiting friends. I drape my oversized winter coat on the rack in the left corner after I enter. Lucas sits on a stool next to the two purple chairs in the lounge area across from the window, and Farkle sits in the further of the two chairs. I turn to see Riley and Maya sitting in the window seat, their faces lighting up when they see me. I walk over to the girls and lean against the side of the window sill, nervously playing with my necklace.

"Hey guys, I know I just got here, but mind if I talk to the boys alone for a few minutes?" Maya stands up and rubs my shoulder, and Riley gives me one of her big goofy grins.

"You take all the time you need," Riley says, then grabs Maya's hand and leads her behind the counter on the opposite side of the cafe. I sigh and turn to the boys who stare at me. I sit down in the purple seat in between the two. I make sure to evenly glance back and forth between the two. I rub my hands against my green jeans.

"We can't keep doing this," I say staring at the table now, "the tension, it's eventually going to tear us apart. I'm already beginning to feel the strain."

"I know," Farkle replies on behalf of both of them.

"So what happens now?" Lucas asks rubbing his hands together. Again I glance at both of them.

"Now, I tell you my decision,"

"How do you know it's what you really want?" they ask in unison.

"Because I'm listening to my heart, which you two both hold a special place in, and no matter what I will always care deeply for both of you, and I know you both feel the same way because we will always be friends," I reply and direct my attention to Lucas, wrapping both my hands around his left one, "Lucas Friar, the cowboy, one of the bravest guys I know. You are my protector, and I will always love you," he smiles, I pause, "I've never had a brother until I met you. You're my brother Lucas, and I'm your sister. If I know anything about who's truly siblings in our friend group, I know 100% for a fact that we are truly brother and sister. That's how I love you. And, I always will." He looks down, seeming a little sad, then back up at me.

"Well, if I had to have anyone as my sister, I'm glad it's you."

"Now, as your sister, I'm gonna give you some advice, and you really need to hear this: you and Riley are not brother and sister, and whether she know's it or not, she doesn't think of you that way, nor does Maya. Sooner or later, those feelings," I gesture towards the counter where Maya and Riley have their backs turned to us as they chat, "will culminate, and when they do I don't want to see y'all end up hurt. Whether y'all see it or not, slowly but surely over time this is going to wear away at y'all's friendship, and I know no matter what my best friends feel for you, they don't want to lose you. None of us want that to happen," I stand and bend down next to Lucas, gently kissing his cheek, "I love you, Lucas."

"I love you too Idina, thanks for being such an amazingly cool sister," I roll my eyes at him, and he stands up walking over to the other side of Farkle as I stay standing, he whispers something in his ear, which I overhear, "Farkle, you're my best friend, but you hurt her, and I break you," his face turns to a devilish warm smile, "Now, go get her tiger," he mumbles before patting him on the back, then walking over to Riley and Maya.

Still standing with my hands in my pocket I walk over to the windowsill seat and flop down onto the sagging cushion. Farkle shyly smiles at me, then starts to walk towards me, sitting next to me. We playfully nudge each other.

"Idina, you know how I feel about you, I-I think I've fallen in love with you," he says looking away from me. I feel tears in my eyes as he turns back to me.

"Farkle, you don't know how much I wanted to hear you say that. I think I'm falling in love with you too. You are my Geek Charming; you're always there when I need you. Your kind heart makes me fall faster and harder every second I see it in action. Your quirks and uniqueness make me love you more than I ever thought I could love someone," I look down at my hands and speak just barely above a whisper, "I-I really like you Farkle Minkus." He grins at me.

"You don't know how much I wanted to hear you say that," he replies. He bounces up, and stands smack dab in front of a still sitting me. Maya, Riley and Lucas have slowly gathered in the lounge area I just now notice, watching the beginnings of something we can't nessecarily fully understand. Staring at me, Farkle opens his soft lips to inquire.

"So Idina Jennings, will you do me the honor of letting me take you out on a proper date?"