Chapter 41; Claire Curvel

Start from the beginning

"Alright Hershel!"

I rolled my eyes, already knowing it was Glenn who yelled that. Does he not remember there's walkers everywhere. I chuckled, looking over at Hershel from besides Carl.

"You're doing great daddy," Beth encouraged. 

"Ready to race Hershel?"

I bumped Carl's shoulder, laughing to myself at his joke. "Give me another day," Hershel began, stopping for a second. "I'll take you on."

We stopped, letting Hershel get a break in. Hell, I can't even try to imagine living in a world like this with crutches. I probably would give up. I'm glad Hershel hasn't. We need him and I definitely don't want to see him go. Everything feels like it's supposed to be. It feels good again.

"Walkers!" Carl yelled. The smile broke of my face, being replaced with horror as I turned around to a group of walkers closest to Carl and I. "Look out!"

Lori and Carl pulled their weapons out, giving me time to push Beth towards Hershel to make sure she got him inside. I yanked my knife from around my hip, rushing over to Lori's side as my hearing become drowned with the snarls and growls of walkers again. 

"Claire! Get them inside!" Maggie yelled, her voice barely reaching my ears. I grabbed Lori's wrist, pulling her along with me with Carl in front of us as we ran back to the gate that led to the stairs.

"Go, hurry," I screamed.

Lori shut the gate behind us, holding onto it in terror. I watched as Maggie ran over to us, Lori opening the gate slightly to let her in before slamming it back shut. I stared in horror at the walkers, my heart pounding painfully against my chest. 

"Let's go."

We rushed back inside, Maggie leading the way back to the cell blocks. I kept watch from the back, my hand gripping so tightly onto the handle of my knife that my knuckles were beginning to go white. 

"This way," Maggie ushered in panic as walkers came out of the cell wing. Maggie grabbed one of Lori's arms while I grabbed the other, pulling her along with us as fast as we could.  "The gate Claire!" I nodded frantically, slamming the gate shut before following them quickly. 

Sweat dripped down my face, my eyes checking every corner I could as we moved around in the dark halls of the prison. My head pounded along with my heart as fear set in. Not for me, but for Carl, Maggie, and Lori. It's been so long since we've lost anyone. We just almost lost Hershel. This can't be happening. I don't think I'm ready to see anyone of them go. Not when we've made it this far. God help us.

I screamed, both my hands flying up to my ears as a horn blared throughout the prison. I hardly managed to stay gripping onto my knife.

"We need to find somewhere safe," Lori yelled out in fright.

I looked down, seeing her cradling her stomach with shaky hands. I looked back up, staring at Maggie in panic. She had to know what to do. We need to get Lori and Carl to safety. That's our top priority right now. 

"Follow me," Carl spoke up.

I couldn't do anything else but nod, the blare of the alarm still going off. I covered Lori's back once again as we moved, praying no walkers popped up out of no where and cut me off. I didn't want to get separated from the small group I was already put into under these circumstances. Plus I need to make sure Lori and the baby are okay. That's the least I could do for the group at this point. 

My eyes widened at Lori placed her hand on the wall, leaning over as she gave out a grunt of pain. "What is it?" I dreaded the answer. It couldn't be happening now.