Two: His Classroom

Athena:

I woke up tired. I was unable to sleep because of my roommate.

I got out of bed and glanced over at Michelle who was sprawled out on her bed naked on top of some white guy with hair as long as mine.
This was a sight I never planned on seeing.
I hopped in the shower and got dressed. I packed my purse and headed to the bookstore. I needed to buy my books for this class.
I was supposed to buy it before I started, but I was on the waiting list and only recently received my school schedule.
The line was longer than I had anticipated. When it finally died down, I approached the desk and a woman sat at the desk. "What do you need?" She asked, her eyes still concentrated on the computer.
"I'm looking for the book," I looked at the paper in my hand. "Introduction to psychology."
Her fingers began to tap the keys on the keyboard.
"Sorry, we just sold the last one this morning, but more will be coming in tomorrow."
I sighed. I'm already behind. I was supposed to read the first two chapters and was told there were at least twenty-five pages in each chapter.

I went to class anyway and sat in the front row. Since I didn't have my book, I decided it would be smart to sit in the front so I could take in everything I missed out on.
The class started to fill up slowly, and eventually, the prof walked in. He faced the whiteboard as he wrote his name, Levy Michaels, followed by Introduction to Psychology.

He turned around and faced the class.
I know him.
"Hello, class. My name is Levy," he said. "Welcome to Introduction to Psychology."
He smiled and I remembered him. How could anyone forget those perfectly indented dimples? I opened my mouth in shock. But he's so young. I thought he was a student when I tapped him. If I had known, I would have been more polite.
He noticed me staring at him with this shocked expression on my face and he winked at me.
"Bare with me," he continued. "This is my first year teaching at a university, so please be gentle," he joked.
I heard a few girls behind me comment on his sexy appearance and even added a sex joke.
"I'd love for him to be rough with me," one of the girls said.

From the chuckle that escaped his mouth, I'm sure he heard them.
I rolled my eyes. Of course, he caught that.
"I hope everybody read the assigned chapters for this week," he said.
Many people nodded and recited yes.
"Good," he said, "because I'm going to be randomly selecting students to answer a few questions. If you answer correctly, I will ask for your name, and a point will be put towards your mark."
"What happens if you get it wrong?" One of the male students called out from the back.
"If you get it wrong," he said. "Then you will be asked to leave my classroom and you will lose marks."
I felt my heart in my chest stop beating, panic washed over me. The classroom was quiet. Everybody was terrified of this news.
Levi started to laugh. "I'm just joking," he said. Many students in the room sighed with relief while others laughed as well.
"If you get it wrong," he continued, "you won't receive a point, and you will go through the public humiliation of wrongfully answering a question."

He started the class, and I prayed to God the whole time, he wouldn't ask me a question.
Yes, I was really good in psychology, however, the amount of details in the textbook was something I haven't been able to familiarize myself with.

"What is the difference between basic research and applied research?" Was his question.
He asked this question to a student who was unable to answer the question. That student did not read the textbook. He then asked another student the same question, who was also unable to answer the question, due to the fact he also had not read the textbook.
He stopped in front of me and looked me straight in the eyes. I knew I couldn't escape this classroom without being quizzed.
"Please tell me you read the textbook," he said to me.
"No, I didn't," I barely whispered.
He shook his head. "Did anybody read the textbook?" He looked out at the classroom. Some students were scrambling to find the page which had the answers. Others were trying to recollect the memories of what they had previously read.

I raised my hand.
He raised his eyebrow as he said, "yes?"
"You asked me if I read my textbook, however," I said. "You never asked me if I knew the answer."
"Do you know the answer?"
I did, so I recited it.
"Basic research is research that answers fundamental questions about behaviour. For instance, biopsychologists study how nerves conduct impulses from the receptors in the skin to the brain, and cognitive psychologists investigate how different types of studying influence memory for pictures and words."

The class grew silent as everybody placed their full attention on me.

"Applied research is research that investigates issues that have implications for everyday life and provides solutions to everyday problems."

He stared at me for a few seconds before he spoke.
"I couldn't have defined it better myself," he said with a mini clap.
He looked very impressed. And why wouldn't he be? I, amongst those who had claimed to have read their books, was able to answer the question.
"And what is your name?" He asked me.
"Athena," I replied.

The class ended and everyone began to pack up their belongings.
"We will try this again next week," he said as everyone got ready to leave. "I hope next week, everyone will be prepared."

I got up and started to walk out of the class when he called me. I loved the way his voice sounded as he pronounced my name.
"Athena!"
I turned back.
He smiled as he said, "I look forward to having you in my class."