Twenty-Four: His surprise

Levy

I stared at my phone not knowing what to do. Athena was calling me. I had to tell her. I wanted to tell her everything but I couldn't. How long could I avoid her though? I already missed class yesterday and couldn't keep missing school.
I threw my phone at the wall "shit!"
How did I get myself in this mess?
My wife ran into the room when she heard the noise.
"What happened?" She asked. I said nothing and she looked towards the floor where laid my cracked phone.
"What's the matter?" She said. "Your mistress dumped you? Did you tell her about the baby?"
I was so angry I couldn't talk. I knew that the words that would come out of my mouth would be cruel and unfair. Yes, she's a crazy bitch but I'm the one that cheated. She stood there waiting for me to respond.
"Don't you have work today?" I said instead,
changing the subject.
"So you're not even going to get into it with me?" She put her hands on her hips. "Don't you care at all? I'm finally giving you everything you've ever wanted and you don't even care."
I sighed "I didn't want this. This is not what I wanted."
"You begged for children. You-".
"Yes but not like this. Not when our marriage is literally falling a part. You've been absent for the last fucking year. You've never cared about anything that I wanted. Everything was about your career, your dreams, your ambitions. So why now? Why the fuck now? Because I slept with someone else? Now you want to give me everything?"
"Because I realized I was losing you.."
"I lost you months ago. I have no idea who you are. And now you're acting like a crazy psycho, blackmailing me to stay in a marriage with a child. Who the fuck are you?"
"Adultery can make a woman go crazy. You cheated. I'm the one who should be mad here. It's like you forgot what for better of for worst meant. Well baby, this is for worst and you don't just get to leave because it's not only up to you." She sighed and sat on the bed. "You stay and fight for the marriage. That's what you do."
"What if I don't want to stay and fight?"
"Why because of that girl? Your mistress? She's why you dont want to fight for 6 years of marriage."
"No it's not, I-".
She gets up from the bed. "How many times Levy? How many times have you slept with her?"
I just stared at her.
"Okay, how many women huh? How many women have you let open up their legs for you?"
"Just one, I-just one."
"So you do like her. You have feelings for her?" She examined my eyes, looking to see if she can find her answer without me saying anything.
She took a step back "Oh my God. You do like her," she said eyes widen. "Do you love her? Are you in love her?" She pushed me. "Answer me!" She yelled.
"No Julie, I'm not in love with her.."
"You're lying"
"Julie, I barely know her. I'm not in love with her I swear."
"But you care about her?"
I stayed quiet.
Just then her pager went off. "I gotta go, I can't believe, I ..." She didn't know what to say. She picked up her sweater and went downstairs.
I sighed, relieved that the conversation was over but terrified of what she was going to do next. I've never seen her like that before.
Right then, I hear the doorbell ring.
I looked at the time, it was 10:30am. Who could that be? When I opened the door, it felt like my jaw hit the floor. There standing at my front door was Athena.